Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help wrapping my head around a lift...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I need help wrapping my head around a lift...

Alright. 00 XJ, 4x4 of course.

Going for 3". I've asked before and have been told that I don't need longer brake lines, etc, that all I need are the suspension parts and I'm good to go.

SO, I'm going to get the rear shock mounting blocks to remedy the upper bolt breaking problem that's bound to happen, and those add 2" to the shocks themselves.

I need new leaf springs since mine are sagging... so, I can get stock replacement leaf springs, and install 3" shackles...

Will stock replacement shocks be OK, or should I get extended shocks? If so, what size?

Since the mounting blocks will add 2" to the length of the shock, but not to travel, it would probably be best to get larger shocks so I have that extra travel, right? Or is a 3" lift not really enough to worry about having a ton of suspension travel?

My main goal is to lift my Jeep for better offroad capability, but it HAS to retain it's road-worthiness, it can't be a bear on the road at all, it's my daily driver. I can tolerate slightly more body roll but I don't want to compromise suspension stability.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I did a 2 inch bb with stock shocks but they will limit travel a little
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

It would be a good idea to get extended shocks if you plan on wheeling in such a manner that would need articulation. And if you're looking for road worthy and able to offroad, I dont suggest 3" shackles.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

I wouldn't put 3" lift shackles on it, because 3" lift shackles would be 6" longer than stock making for really long shackles and a steep pinion angle, I'd recommend getting 3" lift leaf springs instead. With the 2" extension on you're shocks you'll have 2" more down travel but 2" less uptravel, you could try flexing it once you get it all installed and see if your shocks limit your up or down travel.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

That is a lot to tackle so I will start by asking first, do they make a 3" shackle? What do you mean by "mounting blocks?" are you talking about a type of bar pin eliminators? If so, those will only give you maybe an inch or so of a difference. I had stock shocks when my rear was about 3 inches and it worked ok. If you are going to go super jeeping, I would get some longer ones. There are some companies that will have a guide with their shocks with the compressed and expanded lengths. Or just order rear shocks that are for xjs with 3" of lift. Most places have them labeled like that.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by agent8
That is a lot to tackle so I will start by asking first, do they make a 3" shackle? What do you mean by "mounting blocks?" are you talking about a type of bar pin eliminators? If so, those will only give you maybe an inch or so of a difference. I had stock shocks when my rear was about 3 inches and it worked ok. If you are going to go super jeeping, I would get some longer ones. There are some companies that will have a guide with their shocks with the compressed and expanded lengths. Or just order rear shocks that are for xjs with 3" of lift. Most places have them labeled like that.
The mounting blocks are basically blocks that bolt in using existing subframe holes to cover the existing upper shock mounting holes, since the bolts usually break off.

I would rather have 3" leafs... that's not going to drastically reduce ride quality, right?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yes, he means BPE's when he says blocks.

As far as shackles, dont, you will be disappointed. Check out BDS full leaf packs. They are quite affordable and have the best ride quality out of all the lifts Ive used.