Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP44/9" Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HP44/9" Help

I just bought a HP44 front and 9" rear for my XJ bc Im wantin to go to some 36's. The rear isnt a worry to me right now, but the front axle with the radius arms is whats got me worried. Do I HAVE to use them? Or can I just get brackets from Ballistic and use my stock style suspension? I have basically no fab experience and this will be a learn as I go thing so I'd like to keep it as user friendly as possible. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

you dont have to run a radius arm setup. you need to come up a way to put lca brackets on. the uppers will be easy. im pretty sure that hunk of cast is right in the way of where the brackets would go
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Year: 1987

I know this might be a little extreme, but is it feasible to just grind down the castings to make it uniform with the rest of the axle tube? If I can do that, Ballistic Fab makes LCA brackets for a D44 and that would be easier than trying to figure out how to use the radius arms.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

What year vehicle did it come out of? 79-79 have cast wedges and no tube under them and can't be removed. Other models have welded wedges and can be ground off. If its the cast version you would be better off using the ford radius arms. Lots of people do and if set up right work as well as any radius/long arm ser up. Lots of threads over on Pirate too.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

x2 on what he said. if there cast wedges then your only option is to run the ford radius arm setup. if there welded then you can cut the welded mounts off and run your own suspension.

there's a couple kits out there that have your truss/brackets/mounts all in one.