Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to wire a relay for lights... the 'RIGHT' way

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default how to wire a relay for lights... the 'RIGHT' way

a mod, who will remain nameless (unless he wants to tell you) asked about wiring a relay for use with 4 lights... well here it is...

(NOTE: if anyone is interested I could make a youtube video and/or LIVE pictures)

they say a picture is worth a thousand words... here it goes...

another thing to note is that the output from the switch to the relay pin 85 can be ANY gauge wire as it carries almost NO load... also this wire can be split to activate as many relays as you want...

alternatively you can connect pin 87 on the first relay to pin 86 any other relays (just make sure that those relays have pin 85 connected to ground)

additional notes: you CAN have Pin 86 pull from any wiring that is 12v +, if you want the lights(or whatever you are running for that matter) to only turn on when you have the ignition on all you do is attach PIN 86 to a wire that is only active when the ignition is on...

Last edited by ericfx1984; 06-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I also use the ground to trigger the relay. It seems the switch is the most common part to fail and a failure simply turns lights on rather than having an open circuit to spark and cause a fire.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by outkast
I also use the ground to trigger the relay. It seems the switch is the most common part to fail and a failure simply turns lights on rather than having an open circuit to spark and cause a fire.
you would be amazed how many people trigger with 12v +... it just does not make sense... you have to run power into the cab, then to the switch, then back out

ground trigger makes sense... if you short out, oh well, the light turns on like you said... lol
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

on another note: ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE MY MAD MS PAINT SKILLZ... or rather lack there of
Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
on another note: ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE MY MAD MS PAINT SKILLZ... or rather lack there of
I can't even make squares in Paint so I do bow!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by outkast
I can't even make squares in Paint so I do bow!
lol see I predicted this... I should start a religion...
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you would be amazed how many people trigger with 12v +... it just does not make sense... you have to run power into the cab, then to the switch, then back out

ground trigger makes sense... if you short out, oh well, the light turns on like you said... lol
If you get your 12V to trigger the relay from the fuse box, its already inside the cab. I used IGN or PWR ACC so that the relay would only be activated when the ignition was on.

Your line drawing shows a daisy chain to the lights. I would run a seperate wire to each light.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

nevermind

Last edited by SeriousOffroad; 06-28-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by excess650
If you get your 12V to trigger the relay from the fuse box, its already inside the cab. I used IGN or PWR ACC so that the relay would only be activated when the ignition was on.

Your line drawing shows a daisy chain to the lights. I would run a seperate wire to each light.
x2 on that part, I wired my fans that way so they dont stay on when i turn it off, Works fine for me
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheJerm
x2 on that part, I wired my fans that way so they dont stay on when i turn it off, Works fine for me
I understand this, but in the case of lights I do need them on from time to time even without the Jeep being on

but as I noted you CAN have Pin 86 pull from any wiring that is 12v +, if you want the lights(or whatever you are running for that matter) to only turn on when you have the ignition on all you do is attach PIN 86 to a wire that is only active when the ignition is on...
Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

a mod, who will remain nameless (unless he wants to tell you) asked about wiring a relay for use with 4 lights... well here it is...

(NOTE: if anyone is interested I could make a youtube video and/or LIVE pictures)

they say a picture is worth a thousand words... here it goes...

another thing to note is that the output from the switch to the relay pin 85 can be ANY gauge wire as it carries almost NO load... also this wire can be split to activate as many relays as you want...

alternatively you can connect pin 87 on the first relay to pin 86 any other relays (just make sure that those relays have pin 85 connected to ground)

Great post, I know plenty of people will get use out of this, myself included.

Its actually surprisingly simple when its laid out in front of me!

I agree with the key on activation. I know its easy to notice headlights or aftermarket lights being on at night, but I would be the guy who accidentally bumps the switch without realizing...during the day.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand this, but in the case of lights I do need them on from time to time even without the Jeep being on

but as I noted you CAN have Pin 86 pull from any wiring that is 12v +, if you want the lights(or whatever you are running for that matter) to only turn on when you have the ignition on all you do is attach PIN 86 to a wire that is only active when the ignition is on...
There are a couple of spots in the fuse box marked BATT. I'll check, but suspect that they're constantly "hot". Likewise, I'll have to look and see if there is a spot for when the ignition in the ACC position.

As I mentioned previously, I don't advise "daisy chaining" lights together. It would be better to run a single, heavy gauge wire to a junction block or fuse panel, and then run smaller gauge to each light. Individually fused would be a plus. Yeah, I'm one of those guys who solders connections and uses heat shrink.

Last edited by excess650; 06-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by excess650
There are a couple of spots in the fuse box marked BATT. I'll check, but suspect that they're constantly "hot". Likewise, I'll have to look and see if there is a spot for when the ignition in the ACC position.

As I mentioned previously, I don't advise "daisy chaining" lights together. It would be better to run a single, heavy gauge wire to a junction block or fuse panel, and then run smaller gauge to each light. Individually fused would be a plus. Yeah, I'm one of those guys who solders connections and uses heat shrink.
that part is up to you... if the wire can safely carry the load then it does not matter... you will not get any brighter light with single wires for each light unless you are running wires that are too small
Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

The wire for the switch/relay should carry very little load so it doesnt matter much. If theres bad connections or a short then you might have an issue
Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

pics fixed

Quick Reply: how to wire a relay for lights... the 'RIGHT' way