Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lift front-right corner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How to lift front-right corner?

Hey I have a '92 Cherokee that needs new springs but I won't be in a position to replace them for about 5 months. In the meantime, the lilt is causing some serious problems for me so my temporary hope-for-a-solution is to lift the front-left about one inch and the front-right about 2 inches without removing the front springs.

I have access to a floor jack, jackstands, and a good compliment of tools. I am not going to use a coil compressor (am too close to horror stories to try), so any solutions cannot require that.

I keep hearing terms like "wedge" but I don't know what they refer to. Can anyone suggest something I can wedge up in there to do the job?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by daJeepIsUngry
Hey I have a '92 Cherokee that needs new springs but I won't be in a position to replace them for about 5 months. In the meantime, the lilt is causing some serious problems for me so my temporary hope-for-a-solution is to lift the front-left about one inch and the front-right about 2 inches without removing the front springs.

I have access to a floor jack, jackstands, and a good compliment of tools. I am not going to use a coil compressor (am too close to horror stories to try), so any solutions cannot require that.

I keep hearing terms like "wedge" but I don't know what they refer to. Can anyone suggest something I can wedge up in there to do the job?

Thanks

You don't need a spring compressor. When I put my lift in, I disconnected the shocks, let the axle full droop, then pushed down a little on the side I was removing to get the coil out. Putting the taller ones in was a bit more interesting, but I used a bottle jack to compress it the 3/4 of an inch, then just pounded it in with a BFH. Could have probably done the same job with a crowbar between the coil and spring bucket and pried it up