Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I wired up my roof rack lights (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default How I wired up my roof rack lights (Pics)

So I a week ago I got 4 100 watt off road lights for the roof rack, was originally gonna put 4 up there but ended up with doing 2 and the other 2 will go on the bumper if it ever stops raining. First off, this kit came with the switch all the wires mounting equipment etc. Before anyone says these are cheap crap, get off this thread, i dont have 100+ bucks to throw into lights ill rarely use. Back on topic, to start off have some spare wire around for grounds if its too short, i wish i would have documented the whole thing i wasnt thinking about it and didnt take pics till it was almost done. Anyway im just gonna tell you how i ran the wires because each light mounts different. But the wires it came with worked fine, minus the grounds were too short , but a simple add on fixed that. I dont have alot of great pics because i didnt have my phone on me when we started and its raining now.

This is what it looked like before all the wires were hidden ish and a stock spare haha. I dont know if you can tell but we ran the wires down the gutter, then through the door water seal thingy...

After that we ran one end to the switch which we put in the ash tray, it fit perfectly, we ran a wire up behind the dash above the gas and brake pedals and then through the center console, through the shift box and up through the ash tray, there is a screw inside the shift box we used to ground the switch with, no pic

switch

Now to get power to this puppy, we tried to run it through a hole in the firewall on the passanger side, that didnt work so we found a hole on the drivers side that comes out near the brake cylinder thing and comes in under the dash by the pedals....

The blue wire goes straight to the battery and the red is the switch that goes to the lights.
the wire was too short to tuck onto the firewall and i was being lazy so i just ran it right across the engine hahahah

Before the wires were tied...

Heres what it looks like with all the wires breadtied in place haha

here's a night pic pretty bright for two and i aimed them down not straight out for now....

Driving view. sorry for the quality, and it looks weird cause i was going around and corner and yes thats my white xj in front of me

ill edit this if i think of other stuff we did. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

That valve cover gets pretty toasty, be careful you don't melt the insulation or you may run into other problems. What I did for power is splice a flat male spade connector on the end of my ground and put it under the dash into an empty accessory port.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

What kind of small rack is that on the roof? I'm going to wire my lights through the roof by drilling holes I think that's the only way to make it look professional.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Kind of off topic, but its a complement so i hope you don't mind...

I LOVE that roof rack! Where did you get it/make it/how much did it run you??
Please PM me details if you don't want to take up this thread.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

thanks guys and this is the rack:

http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/61A1380A0A0.aspx

i got it off craigslist for 125
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

That's a standard Surco. I have one on mine. It's a pretty good rack. Aluminum, so it's light weight. The only thing I wish is that it had more of a solid floor in it, but there are plenty of slats that form the floor.

It looks like the OP attached his to the factory Jeep crossbars. While this will work, I much prefer to get the Surco rail mounts that are intended for attachment to the factory Jeep roof rail. Stronger hold. I can grab the rack and shake the whole XJ back and forth violently with ZERO play between the rack and the vehicle. If you follow the links below, you can get the rack AND the rail mounts for about what autoanything wants just for the rack. It's where I got mine and I couldn't be happier.

Surco S4560 Safari Rack 45'X60' : Amazon.com : Automotive Surco S4560 Safari Rack 45'X60' : Amazon.com : Automotive

Surco J100 Jeep Roof Rk Adaptr 4/Set : Amazon.com : Automotive Surco J100 Jeep Roof Rk Adaptr 4/Set : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by macgyver35; 02-22-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by macgyver35
That's a standard Surco. I have one on mine. It's a pretty good rack. Aluminum, so it's light weight. The only thing I wish is that it had more of a solid floor in it, but there are plenty of slats that form the floor.

It looks like the OP attached his to the factory Jeep crossbars. While this will work, I much prefer to get the Surco rail mounts that are intended for attachment to the factory Jeep roof rail. Stronger hold. I can grab the rack and shake the whole XJ back and forth violently with ZERO play between the rack and the vehicle. If you follow the links below, you can get the rack AND the rail mounts for about what autoanything wants just for the rack. It's where I got mine and I couldn't be happier.

Surco S4560 Safari Rack 45'X60' : Amazon.com : Automotive

Surco J100 Jeep Roof Rk Adaptr 4/Set : Amazon.com : Automotive

mine came with the mounts but i didnt use em, just u bolted it tight....i can shake my xj too with no play
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

You should get an inline fuse for that wire that goes straight from the battery Especially because you have the wire going over a "high risk area" such as your hot valve cover :P. If it does melt that wire coating, you'll short it and it could cause some bigger problems.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EvstaG
You should get an inline fuse for that wire that goes straight from the battery Especially because you have the wire going over a "high risk area" such as your hot valve cover :P. If it does melt that wire coating, you'll short it and it could cause some bigger problems.
oh i forgot it has an inline fuse