Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell if a light is a fog or driving light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How can you tell if a light is a fog or driving light?

I was given a hella light the other night. It looks to be a 500ff series light but im not sure if its a driving light or fog light. How can you tell because the pics on the net all look the same for them. Also does anyone know what the 700ff series difference is? The light is around the 6" size.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

With Hellas the driving lights have a clear glass and the fogs have a lense with lines and mine seem to be a little foggy, no pun intended, whereas the driving lights are really clear. I have both and when lit the fogs spread out and the driving lights shoot more forward and narrow like your high beams.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
With Hellas the driving lights have a clear glass and the fogs have a lense with lines and mine seem to be a little foggy, no pun intended, whereas the driving lights are really clear. I have both and when lit the fogs spread out and the driving lights shoot more forward and narrow like your high beams.
Its super clear they look exactly like what amazon shows for the 500ff driving lights pictured here. This same picture though is used on alot of sites for the fogs too. Amazon is only place that shows the fogs with a different center piece that ive found so far.

I guess easiest way to tell would be to just wire the single up and turn it on to see its patterns at night.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

The picture you posted is of the driving light, not fog light.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM

Had a friend in my build thread take pics of his driving lights on his jeep and mine match his. So i do have the driving light version for sure Thanks for all the help
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by MuscleHead
I was given a hella light the other night. It looks to be a 500ff series light but im not sure if its a driving light or fog light. How can you tell because the pics on the net all look the same for them. Also does anyone know what the 700ff series difference is? The light is around the 6" size.
The better fog lamps are amber, while driving lamps are invariably clear (white light.)

(I have a pair of Hella fogs - amber reflector bowls, with amber 35W bulbs. Very nice! With fog lamps, less is truly more - I find the "sweet spot" to be about 30-40W, vice the 55W you usually get with the things.)

Or, hook it up to a battery at night and see the beam pattern - a fog lamp will have a wide, low dispersal pattern; while a driving lamp will have a reasonably focussed beam projected roughly straight ahead.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 5-90
The better fog lamps are amber, while driving lamps are invariably clear (white light.)

(I have a pair of Hella fogs - amber reflector bowls, with amber 35W bulbs. Very nice! With fog lamps, less is truly more - I find the "sweet spot" to be about 30-40W, vice the 55W you usually get with the things.)

Or, hook it up to a battery at night and see the beam pattern - a fog lamp will have a wide, low dispersal pattern; while a driving lamp will have a reasonably focussed beam projected roughly straight ahead.
Not all Hella fogs are amber, mine are white which I prefer. Never liked the yellow light they put out. My old KCs came with both lenses.