Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Transmission, why?~!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Hot Transmission, why?~!

I have a '98 Cherokee Sport 4.0L Auto. This thing is driving me crazy! Bought it six months ago just for a street legal trail rig. It ran great when I bought it. First trip out to the Butler Jeep show the mud hole burnt up my electric fan and it over heated, the engine tranny shifted fine. New electric fan and it seemed fine. That was until I drove it two weeks later to the Jamboree at Nemicolin, tranny boiled over on the way there and left me sit along the highway. After it cooled down I made it to camp, pressure washed the rad again and it got me home. I installed a tranny cooler, changed the fluid and filter and it still got real hot after 20 minutes or so of driving and started to shift funny. Someone on the forum suggested new radiator...Now I have a new radiator and new filter and fluid, plus the tranny cooler and it is stilll getting hot and stinking! The lines are not kinked, please any ideas would be great!!! Jeep shifts and runs as should for about 20 minutes then you start to smell hot tranny fluid!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Default re hot trans

Once hot it doesn't want to move when in drive with my foot off the brakes. Brakes are not sticking. Do converters go bad? Someone is telling me that is what it sounds like.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Sounds like a clogged filter and if you want it to run cooler bypass the radiator and run it straight to the cooler
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Filter has been changed twice in the last couple days and fluid. I could bypass the radiator all together but it was fine before running throught the old radiator now it's running through the new rad and new tranny cooler, WTF??? I'll try it, anything at this point but doesn't seem logical. Do torque convertors go bad? Could that be it?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Torque converters certainly can go bad. I don't know how common that is but they do go bad from time to time.

Does the transmission just not grab at all when you give it gas? It could also be the clutch bands in the transmission being worn. My in depth knowledge of automatic transmissions (or transmissions in general for that matter) is pretty limited so I really can't offer you much more help. Sorry!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:26 PM

You could have toasted it when it over heated the first time. Read some where that like every 10 degrees above normal operating temp is like putting 5,000 miles on it. Not sure if its true. You might be better of scannin craigslist of hitting the junk yard and get another one. there are tons of them out there.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
Sounds like a clogged filter and if you want it to run cooler bypass the radiator and run it straight to the cooler
not necessarily. in the NE winter you'll be overcooling the thing.

Originally Posted by 518XJ
You could have toasted it when it over heated the first time. Read some where that like every 10 degrees above normal operating temp is like putting 5,000 miles on it. Not sure if its true. You might be better of scannin craigslist of hitting the junk yard and get another one. there are tons of them out there.
yup. if you overheated it bad enough it only takes a little while to start melting **** away inside there. if its warmed up and wont move that thing is done. get a new trans.