Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ho 4.0 Swap to Renix no spark?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ho 4.0 Swap to Renix no spark?!

Okay guys so I did a swap from a HO 4.0 back to a Renix 4.0 I got everything hooked up and its sitting in the jeep but I dont have spark, I noticied my Cps wires were pretty ugly looking but it worked on the original motor, Im going to replace it along with a new battery, But what else could be the cause? Im in the dark right now
Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

What flywheel/flex plate you use. You can't use the ho flex plate on the renix system.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

What did you do about the knock sensor cause Renix has one and the HO doesn't?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM

Ground strap from firewall to head ?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by xjmarc
There is still a place to screw it on the block.

And missing it wouldn't cause it not to start.... I was missing mine when I got it.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Knock sensor is not required on the HO. Don't install it. No place to plug it into the HO harness anyway.

The flexplate used needs to be addressed first.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54

Knock sensor is not required on the HO. Don't install it. No place to plug it into the HO harness anyway.

The flexplate used needs to be addressed first.
I think he is going from HO to RENIX
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepcherokee123
I think he is going from HO to RENIX
He is. So, he uses all the electronics off the HO on the REnix. The HO electronics do not include a knock sensor.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 PM

Sorry for the late replies guys, I took a ho and used the renix birds nest wireing system, Yes i did install the knock sensor along with the coolant temp sensor and the renix flexplate and yes the engine is grounded by the ground strap. The only thing I can think is that the cps is bad, that or I installed the distributor wrong but even if I was off timing with the dist wouldnt it still get spark?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HO

Fuses! Have had it happen before! Check them first to be safe.. Coil ohm out good? Then check pick up coil..
Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by scheetz_21
Fuses! Have had it happen before! Check them first to be safe.. Coil ohm out good? Then check pick up coil..
There are no fuses on the Renix system to cause a no-start. They have no pick-up coil either.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Siever_93
Sorry for the late replies guys, I took a ho and used the renix birds nest wireing system, Yes i did install the knock sensor along with the coolant temp sensor and the renix flexplate and yes the engine is grounded by the ground strap. The only thing I can think is that the cps is bad, that or I installed the distributor wrong but even if I was off timing with the dist wouldnt it still get spark?
Now this is a bit more clear. What year chassis are you using?

Here's how to check a Renix CPS output.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole, or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 07-30-2012
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM

Now this is a bit more clear. What year chassis are you using?

Here's how to check a Renix CPS output.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole, or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 07-30-2012
Thank you, you dont know how much it means for you help. But would I still have spark if I had my distributor timed incorrectly?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Siever_93
Thank you, you dont know how much it means for you help. But would I still have spark if I had my distributor timed incorrectly?
Yes. You would have spark, just at the wrong time. Think you got the distributor in wrong?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM

Yes. You would have spark, just at the wrong time. Think you got the distributor in wrong?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I over heard someone say the distributor can only go in 2 ways, the right way are completely 180% the wrong way. That may help if it's the correct information

Quick Reply: Ho 4.0 Swap to Renix no spark?!