Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit Curb, Tire Rub

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hit Curb, Tire Rub

I hit a curb a few days ago with the front passenger side and bent the steel rim. PITA but no big deal. I changed it out for my full-size spare. Here's where things went awry. The spare is a brand new tire (full tread). The driver's side tire is old and almost bald (like racing slick bald (I know I know I need to replace it)). So, that makes the passenger side tire technically slightly bigger than the driver's side. Upon leaving the parking lot, making a right turn, the passenger side tire rubbed like crazy. It was definitely a rub because I got out and looked at it, and couldn't get a credit card between it and the body.

I have a 3.5 inch OME lift, 31 inch tires, and I've trimmed the fenders. When the tires were new (over the summer), I drove from New York to Oregon with no rubbing whatsoever and plenty of room between tire and fender, even at full lock or full flex.

Driving home after the incident, it had no wobbles or vibrations and seemed to track straight. The steering wheel is turned 90 degrees to the left, but that's an easy fix with the drag link. A fairly thorough look underneath didn't reveal anything that was obviously bent.

Is it possible that it's rubbing just because of the difference in tire size? Or did I mess something up when I hit the curb?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

It's possible that you pushed the control arm(s) back and/or bent it, which would bring the wheel closer to the body on that side and also make an effectively shorter distance for the drag link which would also explain the wheel being turned. Should be pretty easy to diagnose with simple visual analysis.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
It's possible that you pushed the control arm(s) back and/or bent it, which would bring the wheel closer to the body on that side and also make an effectively shorter distance for the drag link which would also explain the wheel being turned. Should be pretty easy to diagnose with simple visual analysis.
Upon closer inspection, you're absolutely right! I bent the heck out of the axle side bracket of the LCA. The bracket is now "S" shaped. I guess I'm dropping my front axle this weekend!

Thank you!