Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Highbeams not working

Okay, so my son has been complaining about the highbeams not working. I noticed that his mom's b/f had replaced the headlights with two 'mis-matched' bulbs so I thought maybe that was the issue, but no. I just put in two Silverstar bulbs and while I have nice, bright light, I still have no highbeams. The dash light comes on with the stalk is moved, and I DID have two good 10A fuses in the proper slot (dropped one putting it back in ).

So the only other thing I can think of is the aftermarket headlight harness I have on it. Though I've long since lost the packaging, I seem to recall reading about how the Chinese relays (I think that is what there were) were kinda crappy and prone to failing.

And this is that bright yellow harness.....went with the Autopal "Euro" lamp housings?

Anyway.....now I am not really mechanically inclined (or electrically), so bear with me....the harness had two plugs for the bulb, a wire that ran to the battery, and another lead that went to a plug from the vehicle over on the passenger side. There are two more leads with a black box object on the end of each. I recall these were supposed to be secured together and onto the frame (though being lazy, I tucked mine into the bumper). I assume those are the relays? Both show signs of wetness, and wetness + electricity = short. Could that be my highbeam problem?

And if so, can I get a replacement relay at the local Autozone or wherever?

Thanks!!