Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hids or pos lights problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default hids or pos lights problems

ok i put in some hids and its a two wire hook up not 4 like my last truck so its + in the low beam side and - in the ground of stock head light plug now i need to get out and plug and un plug till the turn on and i shut off my lights thay go off fine till i turn key off then head lights only come on and wont go off after a while there is a clickin noise in the dash when jeep is off any ideas what happen how to fix ? lights are here i got 9006 bulbs and 12000k color http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TM:MOTORS:1123
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 00jepxj
ok i put in some hids and its a two wire hook up not 4 like my last truck so its + in the low beam side and - in the ground of stock head light plug now i need to get out and plug and un plug till the turn on and i shut off my lights thay go off fine till i turn key off then head lights only come on and wont go off after a while there is a clickin noise in the dash when jeep is off any ideas what happen how to fix ? lights are here i got 9006 bulbs and 12000k color http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TM:MOTORS:1123
I have the same exact problem. I hooked it to the high beam side and have to turn on my high beams for me not to hear the clicking noise coming from inside the car under the dash. I need to get this resolved as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Two things come to mind, daytime running lights, or the headlight delay system after you've turned the ignition off before the lights...

I know daytime running lights will mess with hids for sure, and I remember reading something about that delay, and People having to unplug a relay under the dash.

If no one else chimes in to verify or help more, give a breakdown of how the entire system is wired up, and I'll see if there's something obviously out of Place.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

as ive seen 97-01 jeep put an what i call " auto off relay " in these jeeps.. everone from i think 97 to 01 has them.. for some reson HIDs back feed in to the auto off and makes it go all kajflgkjfdg.. how to fix it? ez.. just take out the relay and it should be all good

:]
Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by storm101
Two things come to mind, daytime running lights, or the headlight delay system after you've turned the ignition off before the lights...

I know daytime running lights will mess with hids for sure, and I remember reading something about that delay, and People having to unplug a relay under the dash.

If no one else chimes in to verify or help more, give a breakdown of how the entire system is wired up, and I'll see if there's something obviously out of Place.

I believe I read somewhere something about this but cant find it anywhere now, it figures when you need the info you cant find it. Do you know exactly what piece or part im looking for to unplug? I appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by aj6
as ive seen 97-01 jeep put an what i call " auto off relay " in these jeeps.. everone from i think 97 to 01 has them.. for some reson HIDs back feed in to the auto off and makes it go all kajflgkjfdg.. how to fix it? ez.. just take out the relay and it should be all good

:]
You have to be right cause this sounds exactly whats happening like you and storm said. Any idea where this piece or part is that I have to disconnect. I dont want to have to put my high beams on anymore to get my HIDs to work right. I want to get it right. I appreciate the help fellas just trying to get rid of that annoying ticking/clicking noise.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by usaf_mike

You have to be right cause this sounds exactly whats happening like you and storm said. Any idea where this piece or part is that I have to disconnect. I dont want to have to put my high beams on anymore to get my HIDs to work right. I want to get it right. I appreciate the help fellas just trying to get rid of that annoying ticking/clicking noise.

well if you let the relay go off when you trun off your lights.. follow the sound it will lead you to the relay, now in my 2001 i had to take off the lower part of the knee plate, then looking at the dash its going to be on the uper left side keep following the sound and youll find it.. then pull it out
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by aj6
well if you let the relay go off when you trun off your lights.. follow the sound it will lead you to the relay, now in my 2001 i had to take off the lower part of the knee plate, then looking at the dash its going to be on the uper left side keep following the sound and youll find it.. then pull it out

thanks for the info I will try it today and see what happens. Thanks again
Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00jepxj
I agree with what others have said, but also why would you get such a dark color? Have fun NOT being able to see much when driving.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

The headlight delay is on the left side, just about in front of your left knee behind the plastic panel. You can trace it by sound & reach up there or remove the panel for easier access. It is a metal box about 2" wide, 1" thick, and 1-1/2" tall. A 4(?)-wire plug runs into it. You can remove this without any detriment to your headlight operation, they just won't stay on after you've turned the key to "Off."
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
The headlight delay is on the left side, just about in front of your left knee behind the plastic panel. You can trace it by sound & reach up there or remove the panel for easier access. It is a metal box about 2" wide, 1" thick, and 1-1/2" tall. A 4(?)-wire plug runs into it. You can remove this without any detriment to your headlight operation, they just won't stay on after you've turned the key to "Off."
Cool thanks appreciate the info. I was going nuts yesterday when I heard all this clicking/ticking noise coming from inside the jeep. The look on my face was classic.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM

update:

I pulled the headlight delay relay and it works perfect now without any ticking or clicking. Thanks for all the help
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Good to hear you got it fixed, wonder what I did different as mine works great and the auto off works still also.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 AM

Year: 00
Engine: I-6

Sounds like u just bandaided the problem... i didnt have to remove any relays.... just curious as to the 9006same bulbs instead of the H4's?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trickynick89
Sounds like u just bandaided the problem... i didnt have to remove any relays.... just curious as to the 9006same bulbs instead of the H4's?
What did you use just bulbs or an HID kit? If so what kit did you use and did you put a relay on it. Dont really care for the Headlight delay relay if Im never going to use it so its going to stay pulled.