Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden winch bumper complete package?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hidden winch bumper complete package?

I tried searching around, and while I've stumbled across a bunch of threads, I can't seem to find what I'm after.

My 98 is a DD that sees mostly city/highway miles. However, we do occasionally go out to the family land, and if it has rained at any point in the previous week it can be an unbelievably muddy mess. Getting stuck in the muck out there is unfortunately not uncommon. A winch would be helpful.

Because mine is a DD and I have to balance utility with economy and a relatively buttoned-down style (I sometimes haul clients around), I only have a 2" lift on it, 235/75 Destination ATs, and I installed a rear Spartan. Because my XJ isn't jacked way up in the air with huge tires and wide flares, most of the winch bumpers look ridiculously out of scale on it.

I know there a few guys who have fabbed some low-profile hidden which bumpers, but they always indicate that clearance requires cutting the factory radiator support. I don't really have any problems or lack of tools for doing that, but I don't have any welding skills to fab some kind of replacement support or reinforcement of what is left of the factory metal.

Does anyone know of someone who makes a low profile hidden winch bumper that also supplies some auxiliary bracketry or replacement for the factory bulkhead?

Thanks for any insight.
So far, I really like the looks of this one:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/hi...5/#post1740897
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

OR-fab

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. But I prefer the looks of a "rock" bumper, rather than the pre-runner style.

I've looked at a couple of pre-runner bumpers, but they still stick out too far for my liking. One of the things I like about the one I posted a link to is that it doesn't stick out any further than the factory bumper.

I know it may sound stupid to some, but I also need to keep a "clean" look to the XJ. Having it too far "Bubbafied" doesn't instill a lot of confidence with prospective clients when I'm trying to land a new account for my IT Consulting business. They don't want to think they are handing over informational/technological management of their business to some redneck. No offense to rednecks. I actually have one! Comes from living in Texas when you have a Scottish background. Me and the sun is like putting a fork in the microwave...
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by macgyver35
Thanks for the suggestion. But I prefer the looks of a "rock" bumper, rather than the pre-runner style.

I've looked at a couple of pre-runner bumpers, but they still stick out too far for my liking. One of the things I like about the one I posted a link to is that it doesn't stick out any further than the factory bumper.

I know it may sound stupid to some, but I also need to keep a "clean" look to the XJ. Having it too far "Bubbafied" doesn't instill a lot of confidence with prospective clients when I'm trying to land a new account for my IT Consulting business. They don't want to think they are handing over informational/technological management of their business to some redneck. No offense to rednecks. I actually have one! Comes from living in Texas when you have a Scottish background. Me and the sun is like putting a fork in the microwave...
Seeing that you have a smaller rig, Look into an ARB BullBar, However they run about 800. Rigidco, JCR Offroad, Dirtbound Offroad also make nice sturdy winch bumpers in the 400-500 range you can get them with out grille gaurds . I have a rigidco that I had added a Dirtbound offroad hoop on . My XJ has a 3.5" lift so its pretty small there are tons of pics of my bumper in my build thread
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

If you want something low profile and would be good for your daily driving, maybe look into doing a multi-mount system. Get a bumper that has a receiver in the front, hook the winch up when you need it and keep it in the back or the garage when you don't. Make the winch last longer too.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Seeing that you have a smaller rig, Look into an ARB BullBar, However they run about 800. Rigidco, JCR Offroad, Dirtbound Offroad also make nice sturdy winch bumpers in the 400-500 range you can get them with out grille gaurds . I have a rigidco that I had added a Dirtbound offroad hoop on . My XJ has a 3.5" lift so its pretty small there are tons of pics of my bumper in my build thread
Thanks. I'll check out the thread!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by EagleXJ
If you want something low profile and would be good for your daily driving, maybe look into doing a multi-mount system. Get a bumper that has a receiver in the front, hook the winch up when you need it and keep it in the back or the garage when you don't. Make the winch last longer too.
I thought about that, or maybe the Detours Backbone setup, but I think I'd rather have it permanently installed and somewhat hidden. I'm a fan of Overhaulin', and I think one of the amazing traits of Chip Foose is that like only very few people, he knows had to add stuff to a vehicle but make it look like it could have come from the factory that way. Very understated and subtle, but still custom.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

OR fab is the lowest profile production bumper your going to get. The JCR would be the next due to the high winch placement, but I have that bumper and its still pretty big. The rest tend to stick alot further
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2k

I just installed the Smittybilt bumper 9k combo from Quadratec with the low profile smitty fairlead and am real happy with the compact design. The fairlead is kinda cheap, cast and the rollers don't feel the toughest but overall I'm happy with the setup and for the cash you can't beat it. The wrinkle finish is thick and would hide scratches fairly well, although I'm not sure if you would utilize this.? I have cut out Bushwackers and they finish killer but a guy on youtube has a video of the bumper/winch combo and I believe he still has stock fenders. Btw, I took a lot of the stickers off the winch to give it a cleaner appearance.

Last edited by 4everTurtled; 04-17-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: not enough info.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Yes.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

ORS- http://www.orsfab.com/bumpers.html
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I tried searching around, and while I've stumbled across a bunch of threads, I can't seem to find what I'm after.

I don't have any welding skills to fab some kind of replacement support or reinforcement of what is left of the factory metal.

Thanks for any insight.
So far, I really like the looks of this one:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/hi...5/#post1740897

I know what you mean.I want the same thing.

I can't weld either but I bought myself a cheap welder to play & learn on & make small things.

I bought a set of bumper brackets from "ducter" in the "Assesories for sale" section & a winch plate for a TJ off E-bay & plan to make my own hidden winch mount.I figure I will skin it with whats left of the factory bumper.I'll tack it together & then have someone with experience weld it up for me.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM

The orsfab.com stuff is getting closer to what I'm looking for, and may be what I end up going with. I wish the "wings" were integral instead of modular, but I like that it doesn't stick out far enough to set a 32 quart Igloo cooler on it.

I haven't really seen one that I like the looks of as much as the one in my original post. It's low profile, but also has some geometry going on to make it look interesting. I may try to track that guy down. he wasn't on here long based on his total of 19 posts.

I really wish someone made a replacement bumper out of 3/16" that had the same profile/cross-section of the original bumper, but trying to pull that off without either extrusion or a lot of tedious metal bending would be impossible. Maybe there is a way to put a plate and bracketry behind the stock bumper, weld it to the stock bumper which would also effectively reinforce it, and I could mount the fairlead on the surface of the factory bumper. In effect, just use the factory bumper as a "skin" over what's underneath.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What about this one http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/jeep_cherokee.html the base one.Maybe this one it has a bolt on winch plate http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1015.htm and the winch plate http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1015-a.htm
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what i'm doin. Its not done yet, but it is mounted. I still have to make core support filler plates and angled approach plates for the ends. I'm doin the same for the back. Sorry OP...lol
Attached Thumbnails Hidden winch bumper complete package?-beast-011.jpg  
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hidden winch bumper complete package?