Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hid help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter high output
Default hid help

ok so when i turn on the jeep and then turn on the head lights the jeep dies. But when i'm driving and then turn on the head lights the rpms drop about 1,000 and go back up right a way. if i turn on the head lights on and then turn on the jeep no problems. the hids have been in the jeep for about a year never had a problem in till about a week ago.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

The HID ballasts draw tons of power when the bulbs are first ignited. My guess is your alternator is shot if your RPMs drop whenever you turn the headlights on. The voltage regulator notices that there is an excessive amperage draw when the bulbs are ignited and has the alternator try to produce more power to make up for it which would be why your engine either bogs down or stalls.

In english: Buy a new alternator.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Jason, Chris had nothing but troubles with his HIDs. He ended up slinging them in the weeds. Let the Ricers have those stupid HIDs. Anything that doesn't make your Jeep better for wheeling should be removed, anyway.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Jason, Chris had nothing but troubles with his HIDs. He ended up slinging them in the weeds. Let the Ricers have those stupid HIDs. Anything that doesn't make your Jeep better for wheeling should be removed, anyway.
I'm Jon, but you got the name close enough haha!

Not all HIDs are for ricers. The difference between a ricer running HIDs and a true, proper HID setup is color temp and projectors. I'm running 5000k HIDs with retrofitted Morimoto Bi-Xenon projectors (that way I have hi-beams). I don't blind people at night, my projectors provide a nice, crisp cutoff unlike the glare you see from smurf-blue ricer HIDs. HID lighting is tons brighter and better than the stock sealed beams that come with the XJs.
Here's the difference between a clean setup, and a ricer hackjob.

Ricer Hackjob:

Proper setup with the projectors and color temp I have:
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Engine: 4.0

I agree. HIDs are not just for ricers. I currently am looking for one more 4 runner headlight. I have one amd plan on making my own projectors for the jeep. The 4 runner headlights I have/need have a nice cut off. I ran 6500 watt kit on my last car...Lexus. Had projectors from factory and the 6500 watt had a slight blue tint that I like. Also had 3500 watt fogs which are yellow. Buy mine from ddmtunning.com. You do have a bad alt. By the way. I'd upgrade to an optima battery and I believe there is a higher output alt from a Dakota that will bolt up with a tiny bit of grinding. Correct me if Im wrong...

Sent from my DROID INCREDIBLE using Cherokee Forum
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kyledye25
I agree. HIDs are not just for ricers. I currently am looking for one more 4 runner headlight. I have one amd plan on making my own projectors for the jeep. The 4 runner headlights I have/need have a nice cut off. I ran 6500 watt kit on my last car...Lexus. Had projectors from factory and the 6500 watt had a slight blue tint that I like. Also had 3500 watt fogs which are yellow. Buy mine from ddmtunning.com. You do have a bad alt. By the way. I'd upgrade to an optima battery and I believe there is a higher output alt from a Dakota that will bolt up with a tiny bit of grinding. Correct me if Im wrong...

You mean Kelvins not Watts right?
Kelvins measure color temp (i.e. 5000k)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Engine: 4.0

Ya that's it...not sure why I said watts....o well. Ya'll know....

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kyledye25
Ya that's it...not sure why I said watts....o well. Ya'll know....

I knew what you were talking about haha don't worry about it
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter high output

so i took out the hids and now i have no low beams just high beams how can i fix it so i can have high and low beams
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
I'm Jon, but you got the name close enough haha!

Not all HIDs are for ricers. The difference between a ricer running HIDs and a true, proper HID setup is color temp and projectors. I'm running 5000k HIDs with retrofitted Morimoto Bi-Xenon projectors (that way I have hi-beams). I don't blind people at night, my projectors provide a nice, crisp cutoff unlike the glare you see from smurf-blue ricer HIDs. HID lighting is tons brighter and better than the stock sealed beams that come with the XJs.
Here's the difference between a clean setup, and a ricer hackjob.

Ricer Hackjob:

Proper setup with the projectors and color temp I have:
And I wasn't talking to you, Jon. I was talking to BiloXJ, the guy who started this thread. His name is Jason and I know him quite well. You should never assume a guy making a comment on a thread is talking to you unless you started the thread.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Jason, that is the way those HIDs work. You have the HID lights for your low beem and then a slightly brighter than stock high beam. The cheapest route is to remove the entire wiring harness you got with your HIDs and go back to the stock ones. Then, if you want some brighter lights that won't kill your alternator just get a set like my IPFs. They use all the stock wiring and just have a higher wattage halogen bulb and a much improved over stock head light with better reflective surface in back and glass on the front that directs the light better. I just found out IPF now offers an even brighter halogen bulb for my headlights that I could get...plus you can get those "cool guy" green and blue lights that you young guys like so much. I just went with the old guy bright white ones.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

And I wasn't talking to you, Jon. I was talking to BiloXJ, the guy who started this thread. His name is Jason and I know him quite well. You should never assume a guy making a comment on a thread is talking to you unless you started the thread.
Sorry about that. It was a miscommunication because you put down two names when there were only three people in the thread at the time (including myself).
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 AM
CF Veteran

No worries, bro.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l Inline 6

Need help!! So im new to the wiring of hids but I just got a set from ddm tuning 8000k and it is a low beam only kit so it has a positive and negative male connector off of each bulb.

I have the rampage h4 conversion headlights.

So heres my problem, I've been sitting out in my garage for 2.5 hours trying to figure out which holes to put my connectors into...
Sometimes they work when I flip my highbeams on and sometimes they come on only when the jeep is off!!

Please help with any advice!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

No worries, bro.
Thanks man

Quick Reply: hid help