Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi + various questions (lift, head light upgrade etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hi + various questions (lift, head light upgrade etc.)

Hi all, long time lurker from Central Europe... Owner of a stock 2000 XJ Limited
but feeling the itch... looking to mod it, just a little

#1; I want to lift it 3" and I decided on the rough country package which would include the shocks, springs & full leaf springs. The reason Im going for this is price (lift kits for the XJ are pricey in Europe) and I believe 3" to be "the right" height for my needs.

Now to the question, do I need any other part not included in the lift kit or do any other modification after installation? I'm talking about brake lines, steering stabilizer, aligning?

I could add I just bought new tires (BFG T/A KO 235/70 16) which might look smallish after the lift but I'm ok with that for now.

2#; I would like to replace my head lights for the autopal ones which I understand to be the "200mm H6054 H4 EURO CONVERSION HEADLIGHTS KIT" but would want that to be confirmed.

Questions; whats the difference between the above, "EURO DIAMOND" & "WITH CITY LIGHTS"? is the included bulb good enough (H4 60/55W) or should I upgrade to any of the other alternatives (100/55W / 100/90W)?

Will the stock harness work with all the above options or would i need an upgrade? if yes (on needing an upgrade), where would I find that?

I guess that would be it for now as those are the first mods I want to accomplish... we'll see what the future holds though

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Search and you shall find... seems I have the head light question solved.
Found a great thread by cruiser54 with links and all info I could ever need.

But what about the lift kit... anything else needed or is a kit really a "complete kit"

Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

At 3" you will need an adjustable track bar and maybe an sye if you get driveline vibes. You will need an alignment as well.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
At 3" you will need an adjustable track bar and maybe an sye if you get driveline vibes. You will need an alignment as well.
What does the adjustable track bar do? and is it something that is recommended or is it really a NEED... sorry for asking as you clearly wrote need but I really dont want to buy more then I really need.

What is a sye?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by barbiesboyfriend

What does the adjustable track bar do? and is it something that is recommended or is it really a NEED... sorry for asking as you clearly wrote need but I really dont want to buy more then I really need.

What is a sye?

Thanks
The track bar centers your axle under the jeep. When you lift, it will pull the axle to the drivers side. You will need a longer track bar to get the axle back to center. As far as the sye goes, just Google it, a little search will do you some good ;-)
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
The track bar centers your axle under the jeep. When you lift, it will pull the axle to the drivers side. You will need a longer track bar to get the axle back to center. As far as the sye goes, just Google it, a little search will do you some good ;-)
Oh boy... more parts, that's not funny at all, taking into account a lift kit (+ any other part involved) cost more then twice here compared to the US.

Might not do the lift... to many parts, to many coins and really not that needed.

will do the lights though. Already ordered the autopal's with the harness + a little bonus; new tail gate gas struts as my current ones only manage to keep the tail gate up on a warm spring/summer day
Old 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

An adjustable track bar is highly recommended but not required. I would save more money and buy a better kit. RC is loved on this forum by most people just getting into the hobby but once they start to wear out within a year or two they regret and wish they went with a better lift
Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 AM

I was wondering if that 3 inch lift came with a transfer case drop kit I think it does, if it does you won't need a slip yoke eliminator kit.

no matter what company you go with whether it be rough country or not just be sure you grease those bushings as often as you can.

As far as the adjustable track bar goes, if you get death wobble then you might need one but if you don't maybe your stock one will work for you

as far as your headlight upgrade you will need a new harness or you risk burnning out your stock one.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

a trackbar at 3 inchs is not neccesary, i ran an xj on 4inchs with stock trackbar and control arms for two yrs no issues asides from the axle being offset and pulled back a little. if its a pavement pounder you probably wont notice any effects.

you will need to get an alignment. might need to do the t-case drop and make sure you soak everything in pb blaster for atleast a week.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

Seems to me that every build is unique and you never know what else will be needed until you have fitted the lift kit. XJ's were being made for quite a long time and in a number of different configurations so some people might need this, other people might need that.

I will probably stay away from the lift... yes, I wanted some extra clearance but I dont really need it...

Thanks