Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED: with which locker to buy for what

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HELP NEEDED: with which locker to buy for what

I'm selling one of my dirtbikes and i'm going to be getting about $1200 back i'm planning on buying a arb switch locker and a lunch box locker along with a snorkel what I need help with is which locker should I put in the front and which one would be better in the back. with the switch locker i'll be able to turn it off so i've heard that would be better in the front from some and better in the back from others i'm so confused with everyone saying different things! I need some legit info please!!! Thanks so much
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM

I ran with the ARB up front and a Detroit in the rear. But honestly with only $1200 the ARB will take all that up by the time you get the compressor and all the lines, fitting, and installation.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Im running a aussie lunch box locker up front in my D30 with 4:56 gears and love it.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I'd highly recommend the ARB in the front and the lunchbox in the rear. It will give you the ability to turn it off the front and steer, then once you'r going straight again you can lock it up. I don't mine a lunchbox in the rear, It handles amazing in every situation. Just gotta drive smart on ice and what not.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 1998

Daily driver/weekend wheeler? If so I would put the selectable in the rear as a ratcheting locker will not be noticeable in the front on road but definitely noticeable in the back.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Daily driver/weekend wheeler? If so I would put the selectable in the rear as a ratcheting locker will not be noticeable in the front on road but definitely noticeable in the back.
Why exactly are you telling him to remove any ability to ever use 4x4 safely on road?

Lunchbox up front and selectable in rear means that if he ever needs 4x4 to get to work because of snowy conditions he wont be able to because he'll constantly lose traction on his steering axle.

Selectable locker up front means he can still use 4x4 on the road without worrying about plowing forward in a turn.

Lunchbox/detroit in the rear isn't that noticeable on the street aside from the noise. Its alot safer in the rear than in the front if you need 4x4.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Eaton E-Locker up front, Lunchbox Locker out back.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Why exactly are you telling him to remove any ability to ever use 4x4 safely on road?

Lunchbox up front and selectable in rear means that if he ever needs 4x4 to get to work because of snowy conditions he wont be able to because he'll constantly lose traction on his steering axle.

Selectable locker up front means he can still use 4x4 on the road without worrying about plowing forward in a turn.

Lunchbox/detroit in the rear isn't that noticeable on the street aside from the noise. Its alot safer in the rear than in the front if you need 4x4.
He asked for our opinions. I have dirven both setups in many different conditions. I was stating my opinion.

Ratcheting locker in the front end is more predictable then a locked rear end in slippery conditions. With your front end locked it will pull you around the corner when you are on the gas and it will ratchet around the corner when coasting; even on a snowy icy road. With the rear end locked you are just pushing your front tires around when on the gas; no control. Coasting around a corner with a ratcheting rear should still ratchet. You hit the brakes around a corner with either setup and you are going to slide sideways into a ditch.

Locked front - Pull around the corner while on the gas. No risk of spinning out.
Locked rear - Push you into and through the corner while on the gas. High risk of spinning. out.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

selectable rear. i was always apprehensive about running an "always locked" axle up front i the snow so i put an OX in my front 44 when i built it. then this winter with all the snow we had i decided to pull the cable back and lock the front end on snow covered roads and took it up to 50-60 mph and i LAUGHED MY *** OFF about how much of a huge deal people made. it literally made almost no difference whatsoever.

i'd rather have a selectable rear to get my turning radius tighter offroad.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
selectable rear. i was always apprehensive about running an "always locked" axle up front i the snow so i put an OX in my front 44 when i built it. then this winter with all the snow we had i decided to pull the cable back and lock the front end on snow covered roads and took it up to 50-60 mph and i LAUGHED MY *** OFF about how much of a huge deal people made. it literally made almost no difference whatsoever.

i'd rather have a selectable rear to get my turning radius tighter offroad.
Exactly. Yes, it will be physically harder to turn the steering wheel off road so you may need to beef up your steering, steering box and pump, track bar, and the frame in that area (which should be done anyways); but when you turn the wheels to cut a corner at least your jeep will actually turn!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only reason I'd put a selectable up front, is because it's a ***** making real tight turns in the forest if there is a lunchbox up there and you're in 4wd.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
Only reason I'd put a selectable up front, is because it's a ***** making real tight turns in the forest if there is a lunchbox up there and you're in 4wd.
selectable rear would be better.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

selectable rear would be better.
We'll agree to disagree.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
We'll agree to disagree.
i used to think so too. then i drove a XJ with selectable f/r on the trail. unlocking the rear made the biggest difference.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

i used to think so too. then i drove a XJ with selectable f/r on the trail. unlocking the rear made the biggest difference.
I have lunchbox lockers front and rear. In 4wd when the front is locked it's hard to make tight turns. In 2wd when the front is unlocked it is easy to make tight turns even though the rear is still locked. So its not that I "think so", it is in my experience what happened.

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED: with which locker to buy for what