Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP.... jeep messed up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry HELP.... jeep messed up!

Hey, I have a 97 jeep xj, lifted 3", with all that cool looking crap. None of it matters now tho, as my transfer case just got really messed up. I looked under the jeep and there is a huge crack. I didnt even look to see what all is bad in the t case. my question is, the jeep was making some bad sounds in 4wd before it happened, and I had the most annoying driveline vibrations ever!! now if I were to fix the jeep, would it probably fix the problems that I had? Also, how much would the jeep be worth do you think withough the transfer case, if I sold it as is? like I said, lifted the three inches, exaust, new steel bumper with stinger and clevis hooks and all that. how much do you think the jeep is worth now?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Where Is the crack? Worse case scenario its the tail cone and a bent main shaft and can be fixed with a SYE. A new t case might cost you 100-150 bucks.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by LittleWhiteXJ
Hey, I have a 97 jeep xj, lifted 3", with all that cool looking crap. None of it matters now tho, as my transfer case just got really messed up. I looked under the jeep and there is a huge crack. I didnt even look to see what all is bad in the t case. my question is, the jeep was making some bad sounds in 4wd before it happened, and I had the most annoying driveline vibrations ever!! now if I were to fix the jeep, would it probably fix the problems that I had? Also, how much would the jeep be worth do you think withough the transfer case, if I sold it as is? like I said, lifted the three inches, exaust, new steel bumper with stinger and clevis hooks and all that. how much do you think the jeep is worth now?
Why does none of it matter? Doesn't sound like you even like/want a jeep? A used TC is cheap! And there's no way of knowing that replacing the TC will cure all vibes. If there's a bad joint, or two, then you'll still have vibes.
Also.. I will give you 500 bucks for your jeep. I'll even come get it for ya..
Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Year: 1997

It's not that... I just had problems before that I've been fixing, and finally had it done. I might just try and fix it in that case!!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by LittleWhiteXJ
It's not that... I just had problems before that I've been fixing, and finally had it done. I might just try and fix it in that case!!
It's a jeep! That's par for the course. Bummer when you fix one thing, just to have another part go, though. See if you can fix the TC for cheap. Even if you do end up selling it it will be worth more just cause it all works. Jeeps retain their value well and if somebody is looking for a slightly built jeep to wheel, then yours is worth more to them. ~2500 bucks is a good starting place, I suppose..
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by VTJeep
It's a jeep! That's par for the course. Bummer when you fix one thing, just to have another part go, though. See if you can fix the TC for cheap. Even if you do end up selling it it will be worth more just cause it all works. Jeeps retain their value well and if somebody is looking for a slightly built jeep to wheel, then yours is worth more to them. ~2500 bucks is a good starting place, I suppose..
I agree, if you fix her up people will be much more interested unless they can fix it. I wouldnt give up on her though, try fixing it if you can, or even get another TC to pop in here locally or even here on the forum. Guys part them out or refurbish them quite often