Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on how to trim fender flares?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default help on how to trim fender flares?

my tires are rubbing my flares on turns and getting into driveways and I need to trim them. Can someone tell me what tools to use and how they did it?

please dont be a dick and tell me to use the search tool, i did and apparently i suck at it cuz i couldn't find anything helpful.

peace
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

well you can use an angle cutter, a reciprocating saw, even metal sheers if you wanted. then measure with a tape measure how wide and high you want to go, mark with a sharpie, and get to cutting. there is really no wrong way to do it, but if you want to put flares back on you must measure according to that. Also there is a write up about learning how to search or you can just ask how in the cf suggestions and question section. But good luck boyo
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Year: 1988

Use the search tool.... lol.

but seriously, people did serious write ups, and you seem to want a short answer. I did mine with an air cut-off wheel. HOWEVER::: if i had read the other peoples write ups, i would have read about the pinch and cut, then fold. Instead I ended up with big holes I ended up having to fill. That was not fun at all...

Ohh, and a marker, to mark what you are going to cut.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/cu...r-flares-48847

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/cu...-flares-60530/ same idea but different on a 99
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/un-named-xj-124321/

Last edited by sportrider; 03-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Always make your cuts in front less than what you think you'll need and your cuts up towards your rear fender shorter than you think. It's always easier to cut later than to cut too much and be screwed.

I used a cut off wheel in the front and basically started my cutting right where the lip is above the old flare holes and cut all the way around, and cutting off pieces that were in my way. I didn't use any tape or markers because I just eye-balled it and grinded down the uneven parts. The back make small upward cuts with the cuts closer together at the curves in the fender. Be careful not to cut past the lip and into the pinch weld. Then pound those suckers in. Voila.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I dont want to take off my flares and cut my fenders cuz I eventually want to get some bushwacker flares.

Idk what people usually do but I was thinking like just cutting the inside corners of my flares cuz its only some minor rubbing on the plastic. should I take them off and cut them?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by White Elephant
I dont want to take off my flares and cut my fenders cuz I eventually want to get some bushwacker flares.

Idk what people usually do but I was thinking like just cutting the inside corners of my flares cuz its only some minor rubbing on the plastic. should I take them off and cut them?
Gotta cut your fenders to run bushwackers bro.

http://www.bushwacker.com/instructions/10911_r14.pdf
Old 03-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Year: 1988

If you just want to trim your flares, just cut a little past where they are rubbing. That should be real easy. That means it should just be, what, the insides of your front flares?

Just cut them. A hacksaw would do that...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

dang good to know... in that case.. i might want to cut my fenders hhaha but I don't want it to look like this (attached pic)

could I cut them clean and still install bushwackers? im just learning all this so sorry if these are dumb questions
Attached Thumbnails help on how to trim fender flares?-picture-3.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Then cut them like this and you'll be able to run bushwackers. All you need to do is just drill the new holes where you want them to go.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter

you can take a look at my build for some inspiration,im goona be mounting some bushwackers after the lift and bigger tires go on. i sanded and painted the lip arond the folds to rust proof and clean up the paint that chipped https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-99xj-build-128236/
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BrofessorXJ
Then cut them like this and you'll be able to run bushwackers. All you need to do is just drill the new holes where you want them to go.
If that's the case then this will probably be my next project! Always love looking forward to doing something new for cheap
Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

If that's the case then this will probably be my next project! Always love looking forward to doing something new for cheap
FREE!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I might need to buy some tools for it but hopefully not cuz the less I spend the sooner I do it!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I might need to buy some tools for it but hopefully not cuz the less I spend the sooner I do it!
I picked up an angle grinder and 2 cut off wheels(you'll need a couple 2-3) from Pep Boys for $30. Granted, I broke the angle grinder rather quckly but just take it back if it breaks. The lock on mine broke so I couldn't tighten or take off the blade.

Quick Reply: help on how to trim fender flares?