Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help figure out bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help figure out bump steer

Hi, new to the forum here and ive been trying to figure out my bump steer problem. I was reading a thread about making sure the track bar and the drag link were parallel which mine are with a stock pitman arm. I have a 4" lift. Let me know what you think

help figure out bump steer-forumrunner_20130613_154203.jpg
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM

i think the angle of the pic makes it look off, but when i actually look at it in person it looks fine to me. idk maybe not
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Stock arms with 4 inch lift ?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Yea stock arms. Rough country 4.5" sorry
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JarreT329
Yea stock arms. Rough country 4.5" sorry
That's definately a problem, you need aftermarket control arms after 3in
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

bump steer huh? have you checked your toe in lately? I had just a bit of toe out once and the jeep wandered uncontrollably. I'd venture that your castor angle is off too. check the easy stuff like tire balance, unit bearings for play, ball joints, alignment, axle center, etc. when are you experiencing this "bumpsteer"

or it could just be that you have the most comical "offroad" tire in existence. thornbirds
Old 06-13-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ohio95xj
That's definately a problem, you need aftermarket control arms after 3in
Deff aint gonna get steering woes fixed until then.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Is that the stock track bar too?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM

The jeep is all over the road all the time and if I hit a bump I get the death wobble and I have to slow down to about 20-25 mph for it to stop shaking. I do have thornbirds but I cant imagine tires to cause it to be this out of control. The tires and wheels were balanced within the past 2 months axle seems centered each spring on each side looks straight up and down. I could try to check the toe in but why do u say to have aftermarket control arms as opposed to keeping the stock ones. What will after market control arms do differently? Are they longer?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

The jeep is all over the road all the time and if I hit a bump I get the death wobble and I have to slow down to about 20-25 mph for it to stop shaking. I do have thornbirds but I cant imagine tires to cause it to be this out of control. The tires and wheels were balanced within the past 2 months axle seems centered each spring on each side looks straight up and down. I could try to check the toe in but why do u say to have aftermarket control arms as opposed to keeping the stock ones. What will after market control arms do differently? Are they longer?
Adjust toe should help the wander some but still arms gotta be addressed. Doing from rotors s best way axle supported with jack stands tires off.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Also, thornbirds have to be the worst tire ever. In fact. Jp named them one of the top 10 worst things you could do to your jeep. Get rid of those tires and it will help some
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM

I can deal with the tires making the jeep wander a little bit. My main concern is the shaking when I hit a bump and I have to slow down to make it stop. What do u mean by address the control arms? Make sure they are tight or what?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

I can deal with the tires making the jeep wander a little bit. My main concern is the shaking when I hit a bump and I have to slow down to make it stop. What do u mean by address the control arms? Make sure they are tight or what?
Toe and caster all tribute to wobble proper length arms set caster to tolerable angle . ever notice how rear whels on a grocery cart are set back at a angle . Think of that as caster ,ever get that cart that one wheel wobbles like a ***** .That because it not in proper caster any more.http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip...bly-wheel.html
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

control arms need to be replaced with aftermarket ones. I ran adjustable upper and lower ones that I found for cheap on craigslist. I can lengthen or shorten them to set my axle a little farther forward and also adjust the angle of the axle (caster) so it sits between 5 or 7 degrees iirc.

shaking is not bumpsteer. deathwobble will be caused by foul tie rod ends or loose track bar or many other things. you need to take the tires off and give your front end a shake down. look for shotty bushings, hubs, ball joints, and anything else you can check out for wear or failure

and you'd be shocked at the difference between a good set of tires and a **** set. my last set of worn down old tires wandered like crazy
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Atmos

control arms need to be replaced with aftermarket ones. I ran adjustable upper and lower ones that I found for cheap on craigslist. I can lengthen or shorten them to set my axle a little farther forward and also adjust the angle of the axle (caster) so it sits between 5 or 7 degrees iirc.

shaking is not bumpsteer. deathwobble will be caused by foul tie rod ends or loose track bar or many other things. you need to take the tires off and give your front end a shake down. look for shotty bushings, hubs, ball joints, and anything else you can check out for wear or failure

and you'd be shocked at the difference between a good set of tires and a **** set. my last set of worn down old tires wandered like crazy
I agree I had awful wandering issues adjusted my arms it got a little better. Fixed my track bar and drag link angles got a little better. Got rid the super swamper garbage and its completely gone. Theres a lot of factors contributing to you problem. Start with adjustable arms go from there

Quick Reply: help figure out bump steer