Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help dealing with my death wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
QFT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help dealing with my death wobble!

TL;DR - when experiencing death wobble on the road, how do I stop the shaking while I'm in the vehicle?

96 XJ, 3" Rancho lift

I have a bad death wobble, most often when I hit the brakes at speed 55+. I've ordered in new front shocks and a steering stabilizer (all Rancho, identical to the ancient worn out Rancho parts already there) but they won't be in until tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my XJ just tried to kill me. I was coming off the highway and hit the brakes and the wobble started. Unlike other instances, it didn't stop after 5 seconds. It just kept violently shaking the entire vehicle as I sloooowly came to a stop. We're talking 30+ seconds of violent shaking as I decelerate from 70-0. I tried moving the steering wheel back and forth a bit, slight pressure on the brakes... nothing seemed to help, and it was BAD. As in "running over a road made of speed bumps at 60MPH" bad.

I have to drive all over the place between today and tomorrow. I'll try to keep it at/under 55MPH. But if it starts shaking, is there an effective way to stop the wobble? I can't put in new parts until tomorrow night.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4 ohh

Dont drive a jeep that is having that violent of DW. It is dangerous to you and other drivers. The leading cause of DW is alignment. get that checked out. Then look at your trackbar & its mounts. A Steering stabilizer just masks the real problem.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its only when you hit the brakes it is major pulsation from the rotors and or drums. Get the front rotors turned/replaced and it should go away. Just fixed that same problem on a YJ yesterday at work. Its fairly cheap if you take them off yourself and take them to a parts store that cuts rotors.