Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Cleaning out the differential!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB
Default HELP Cleaning out the differential!

So the pics show what my rear diff looks like inside now that I finally have some time to take care of it following the nasty flood. To my untrained eye the metal looks ok.

The problem is the consistency of the gunk inside. I emptied a whole can of brake parts cleaner into it & the stuff is like glue - it's not dissolving. I had to leave it overnight to drain because it's so thick - thanks to salty flood waters & sitting for a long time. Who knows what I can use to clean this out?

Also, as the pic suggests, it looks like the stuff is also inside the tube, and I can't tell if it's drained cleanly. Do I need to take this to a professional? Right now I'm going back out to tinker & I'm wide open to ideas on cleaning this out.
Thx
Attached Thumbnails HELP Cleaning out the differential!-imgp0924.jpg   HELP Cleaning out the differential!-imgp0926.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
So the pics show what my rear diff looks like inside now that I finally have some time to take care of it following the nasty flood. To my untrained eye the metal looks ok.

The problem is the consistency of the gunk inside. I emptied a whole can of brake parts cleaner into it & the stuff is like glue - it's not dissolving. I had to leave it overnight to drain because it's so thick - thanks to salty flood waters & sitting for a long time. Who knows what I can use to clean this out?

Also, as the pic suggests, it looks like the stuff is also inside the tube, and I can't tell if it's drained cleanly. Do I need to take this to a professional? Right now I'm going back out to tinker & I'm wide open to ideas on cleaning this out.
Thx
You can use diesel fuel to break the gunk down. It will take a little time to clean but you have to be patient with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

but what about inside the tube?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I wouldn't worry about the inside of the tube right now.

I'd clean it out as best you can by hand and brake cleaner.

Put the cover back on, fill it up with gear oil, drive it for a couple hundred miles, drain it and refill it. I'd do it again after 1,000 miles.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

I found a solvent cleaner that's working ... but there's silver shavings. I'm hoping that it's the solvent that's causing this & not a bigger problem.

Ok ... I won't sweat the tube - for now. Gonna seal 'er back up & fill before rust sets in. But I'll be back with more questions. I've done the diff several times in the past, but I was concerned about the salt & thickness of the stuff plus the fact that I had to let it sit for so long.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
I found a solvent cleaner that's working ... but there's silver shavings. I'm hoping that it's the solvent that's causing this & not a bigger problem.

Ok ... I won't sweat the tube - for now. Gonna seal 'er back up & fill before rust sets in. But I'll be back with more questions. I've done the diff several times in the past, but I was concerned about the salt & thickness of the stuff plus the fact that I had to let it sit for so long.
Once you run some gear oil through it, all that crud will break down. Then you can drain n refill later.