Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP..Bedliner? Herculiner, rhinoline, blazeh blazeh

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default HELP..Bedliner? Herculiner, rhinoline, blazeh blazeh

So i want to coat my xj in bedliner from the pin stripe down. can anyone tell me the best way to do this. What is the best product? Can i use the spray on bedliner out of a can? What prep work needs to be done besides taping off what i dont want lined? Im new to the whole "paint and body" thing. Can anyone help? THANKS
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I did my WHOLE Jeep in bed liner, easy as pie. Wire wheel attachement, drill or some other tool to put the wire wheel on.

Scuff up the paint really good with the wire wheel, wash off with a cleaner that won't leave any residue (they make a paint/cleaner prep) and roll on the bed liner. I found the roll on went the easiest. I used the walmart bedliner, at the time it was made by Plasti-Kote I think, but now they carry Rustoleum brand I think. I have had it on for over a year now, and have noticed no fading. I would suggest getting a cheap little plastic tray to put the paint in and a FUR (not foam) roller to put it on, max of only 3inches in length, anything more, and you may have a harder time getting into the smaller areas. Reason to go fur and not foam, I have read that people had problems with bits of foam coming off into the liner after some use. Also get a few little cheap brushes to get the knooks and crannies. If you plan on doing this over a day or 2, get multiple rolelrs, paint pans, and brushes as the stuff doesn't wash up easy, and the cheap plastic stuff is cheap enough to buy multiple.

I have a small can of herculiner that I plan on doing the interior with, guess it is a bit thicker than the cheap stuff, but to be honest, that cheap stuff I got is tough as nails.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:48 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L I-6

sweet thanks man i think im going to try and get this done over the next month or so. im just tired of all the little scratches and what not.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

The spray cans work fine too but don't get the rustoleum ones they tend to be more like paint then bedliner duplicolor works extremly good with the spray cans u have to spray it as if the material was raining on ur jeep to get the rough texture and I rolled my jeep just like sweetlou said and it works great u can even paint over it whatever color u want
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 AM

I posted up some coupon codes for advance auto parts. The Herculiner 1 gallon kit is like 90 and you can get 35 bucks off of an 85 dollar order.. Yes a 1 gallon kit will only cost you 55 bucks. You cant beat it. Just order it and do in store pickup. Enter the code, pay and go get it in one hour.

The code is BIG35
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

i did exactly what you are planning of doing just like stated before scuff the paint up some real good and tape of what you dont whant lined. and go at it, the roll on stuff worked great, there is no wrong way of putting in on. just make sure you keep and even amount as you go, it tends to clump up if you really crazy with it. oh and one thing, wear gloves!!!!!
that stuff will sticks like no other, i had a couple smudges on my wrist and it didnt come off after 6 days.
youll be really happy once your done, and you will turn heads trust me, i did