Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!

I'm having issues with my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 inline 6. I've been working on a hesitation problem since I bought the vehicle in July. The issue is that there is a sharp hesitation while excelerating especially when there's any kind of load on it. At first I thought it was the transmission, had my mechanic take the pan off and clean it out, replace the filter, and it would run beautifully for a week then go back to hesitating. But this last weekend, my father brought to my attention that it may infact have to do with the ignition or throttle body. We tested it by putting it in neutural at a stop light, and hitting the gas. U can hear the engine hesitate and the exhaust cut out. I'm stumped, my mechanic is about ready to tear his hair out...I need some new ideas, please help! here's what I've done to it already...fuel injector flush, head gasket changed, spark plugs, coolant flush, serpentine belt, oil and filter, trans filter, thermostat and housing, sensors on the throttle body cleaned. Thanks for any ideas you can throw at me.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:21 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee

check the tps and fuel pressure ....
Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the sparkplug boots for leaks. Pop the hood at night and look for blue sparks jumping from the boots.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Turned out to be the TPS and I also replaced the coil pack. Thanks for the ideas!