Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight wire question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0/6 cyl
Question Headlight wire question?

Sorry guys I know this has been killed a hundred times but here goes....
I want to upgrade my headlights but unclear on harness upgrade and which lights to buy. I want to go bright but don't have the budget for Truklites (LED) and don't really know if HID is for me???? How do I do it right the first time????
Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Putco harness will help your stock bulbs shine little more brighter. Later when u have money u can upgrade the housings to whichever u want
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Year: 1989 & 1999
Engine: 4.0L

If you're on a budget, HIDs are not for you. Not if you want to set them up properly, anyway.

I recommend H4s with 80/100w bulbs and a relay harness. To do the conversion, you need a pair of 200mm H4 housings(I used Hella with glass lenses), uprated bulbs(I run 80/100w H4s) and an upgraded wiring harness. Total cost ~$150.00

Light housings: http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_6011.htm These are a direct drop-in replacement for your stock sealed beam housings. No modification necessary, and they look just like the stock lights, so you won't have any nonsense putting the truck through safety inspection.

Bulbs: These you can get from any number of places. Stay away from "hyper white", "HID" and other cheap off-brand bulbs with blue-colored glass. Blue light actually reduces visibility in bad weather. Search for H4 80/100. I recommend Hella brand bulbs: http://www.rallylights.com/h-412-hel...ogen-bulb.html

Wiring harness: The site listed below(Daniel Stern) has the harness you need for $49(recommended). Or you can buy the ARB brand one from Quadratec for $110(no reason to pay this much). You can also search eBay for "H4 relay harness" and get one for about $30. If you want to save some money, you can build the upgrade harness yourself. Whatever you do, DO NOT upgrade to higher power lighting without upgrading your wiring harness, too.

There is a really good writeup here on the harness, why it's necessary, and how to build one, with wiring diagrams: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Light output of relayed H4s on the left, compared to stock sealed beams on the right, and a beam pattern comparison:
Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by phobia
I recommend H4s with 80/100w bulbs and a relay harness. To do the conversion, you need a pair of 200mm H4 housings(I used Hella with glass lenses), uprated bulbs(I run 80/100w H4s) and an upgraded wiring harness. Total cost ~$150.00

Light housings: http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_6011.htm These are a direct drop-in replacement for your stock sealed beam housings. No modification necessary, and they look just like the stock lights, so you won't have any nonsense putting the truck through safety inspection.

Bulbs: These you can get from any number of places. Stay away from "hyper white", "HID" and other cheap off-brand bulbs with blue-colored glass. Blue light actually reduces visibility in bad weather. Search for H4 80/100. I recommend Hella brand bulbs: http://www.rallylights.com/h-412-hel...ogen-bulb.html

Wiring harness: The site listed below(Daniel Stern) has the harness you need for $49(recommended). Or you can buy the ARB brand one from Quadratec for $110(no reason to pay this much). You can also search eBay for "H4 relay harness" and get one for about $30. If you want to save some money, you can build the upgrade harness yourself. Whatever you do, DO NOT upgrade to higher power lighting without upgrading your wiring harness, too.
I agree with all of this for the most part--except the harnesses you pointed to (eBay exception). The Putco harness is only $25 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

If you want the least amount of hassle, you're best to start off with the Putco harness, which will take maybe an hour to install tops, if you want to route everything correctly. Then, you can get
Sylvania Silverstar Sylvania Silverstar
sealed beam headlights which together will give you a massive improvement over stock. I still have the original sealed beams, haven't gotten the Silverstars yet, but the difference was huge even with them.

I do plan on the H4 conversion at some point during my project, though.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Scroll down the page and look at the hid headlight kit thread. Fst is offering everything you need for 200 bucks
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exjay1027
Scroll down the page and look at the hid headlight kit thread. Fst is offering everything you need for 200 bucks
X2 !

I have the Putco Harness, Autopal E Codes, and Piaa Xtreme White bulbs. They put out a good bit of light but nowhere near the amount of a retrofitted hid .
FST's prices are well let me say I'll buy from him so I dont have to do the labor myself ! Soon as I get $400 saved up I am buying 2 sets One for my XJ and another for my YJ
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Year: 1989 & 1999

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I agree with all of this for the most part--except the harnesses you pointed to (eBay exception). The Putco harness is only $25 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

If you want the least amount of hassle, you're best to start off with the Putco harness, which will take maybe an hour to install tops, if you want to route everything correctly. Then, you can get Sylvania Silverstar sealed beam headlights which together will give you a massive improvement over stock. I still have the original sealed beams, haven't gotten the Silverstars yet, but the difference was huge even with them.

I do plan on the H4 conversion at some point during my project, though.
Yeah, that Putco harness looks good, too. I'm not sure that was available when I did my conversion(years ago). As with most modifications, many of the component choices are down to personal preference, and you may find better deals on some things by shopping around(the Putco harness, for example).
Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by phobia
Yeah, that Putco harness looks good, too. I'm not sure that was available when I did my conversion(years ago). As with most modifications, many of the component choices are down to personal preference, and you may find better deals on some things by shopping around(the Putco harness, for example).
Right--I know nothing about those other harnesses as the Putco is the most popular around here. It's possible that they are made better--the Putco is a Chinese deal. I've heard of people having trouble with the relays on them but mine have been fine the few times I've used them (not my DD)
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I've used mine regularly since 8/12. After about 3 months I had one relay (hi beam one) that would stick open when you'd least expect it. Replaced it and have had no other problems since.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

i've DDed my xj with the putco harness since feb or march of this year with no problems. I bought the Sylvania xtra vision headlights. they are quite bright for sealed beams. for me at this point, I don't know that the money required to go led or hid would be worth it for the result. what I have now works surprisingly well.