Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Headlight questions

E code replacements but do I want the brighter bulb or the standard H4. Ordered the harness already.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

That is entirely subjective. Some will say yes, some no. Until I bought the Hella ECE version, I used brighter wattage bulbs because it lit up the road better. In hind sight, the headlights did such a poor job and yet I never knew by how much. Now, the 55/65-wattage is plenty. i have fog and driving lights I can turn on (or off) as necessary for more light.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

In many places there is a legal limit on wattage. Beam pattern/focus is MUCH more important than the wattage of a bulb. High wattage bulbs also have significantly shorter lifespans and also tax wiring significantly more (less of a concern with a relay harness but still technically true).
Old 01-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

The hella is better than e code?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Hella is a brand. "E-code" refers to ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) lighting regulations.

You can get Hella housings in DOT or ECE.

Please read this post--https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/headlights-203245/
Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mschi772
Hella is a brand. "E-code" refers to ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) lighting regulations.

You can get Hella housings in DOT or ECE.

Please read this post--https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/headlights-203245/
And, at present, the Hella DOT and ECE versions have only slight differences. Based on my experience with other brands through the years, Hella is the best option.

As someone touched on earlier, federal regulations (49 CMR, §571) set a maximum wattage that manufacturers may use with respect to incandescent and halogen lamps, or that is allowed for unusual automobiles being imported. Each state's department of motor vehicles usually, though I don't have access to, govern the same- usually for registration, title issuance, and modification purposes, and for some, inspection guidance too. In general, 55/65 is the maximum that may be used while on public roads and ways. So, the better the headlight (including the optics inside if applicable, and/or the lens and it's refraction, if applicable, the better the light reaches the road and in the right areas.

The United States was very slow to allow the kinds of headlights you see today. Prior to this, only the rectangular and round "sealed beam" types were allowed. So, for many years up until the early 80s, as cars' designs smoothed out and streamlined, they still had the funny looking headlights of the 70s and earlier. This was mostly due to the SAE standard that was used here at that time, as the ECE standard wasn't, and still isn't allowed. However, our SAT standards aren't as indifferent today.

The H4 bub was the first dual-filament bulb producing high and low beams. The SAE version is the 9003. Unless you have your vehicle inspected, and the inspection official knows the differences, the ECE version of the Hella headlamp is, in my opinion, the best halogen H4-type sealed beam style headlight for your money.