Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight assembly and bulb set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Headlight assembly and bulb set up

My headlight assembly took a rock through it on the highway the other day and I'm looking to upgrade the set and do the wire harness upgrade. Not looking for HID or Led conversions. Led and HID's get you a lot of tickets in VT. I don't need spot lights but I want to at least be able to see on the highway at night.
The following users liked this post:
HypnoGirl (05-19-2023)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The wiring up grade gives the headlights full system voltage that will make the headlights brighter , can you use headlights that use a H4 replaceable bulb or will those get you a ticket ?
HypnoGirl (05-19-2023)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by tech
can you use headlights that use a H4 replaceable bulb or will those get you a ticket ?
The H4 bulb conversion is legal as long as the OEM bulb wattage is retained (60/55W).

Doing the headlight conversion is a relatively cheap and easy way to boost headlight output significantly. The wiring harness is a must because the voltage increase is where the increase in brightness comes from. Its my understanding that the light output is proportional to the square of the voltage.

For the wiring harness I'd recommend the Putco unit because at <$40 the price is right. ARB also makes one that is >$125. The only complaint I have about my Putco is the cheap relays but I've only lost one in ~5 years. I keep a spare in the Jeep. The ARB harness definitely looks more robust but, like everything ARB, the price is outrageous. You could also make your own harness or look into some other options similar to the Putco.

Putco:
Amazon Amazon

ARB: https://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2430.htm

There are a range of options for the housings. Many come rated as DOT and some are rated as EEE (Euro spec, aka E-code). E-code headlights are technically not legal in the states because they aren't DOT rated and shouldn't pass inspection. However, European headlight standards are generally considered to be held to higher standards and the chance that an inspection station checks your headlights for DOT rating are very low. The biggest difference between DOT and E-code is the Euro headlights are typically asymmetrical. The cutoff pattern flares upwards on the passenger side to illuminate street signs and the side of the road while remaining tame to oncoming drivers. You really can't even tell the difference.

Check out this post which lists many options --> https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/h4-...2/#post1440815

Years ago I found a great thread which had diagrams of the beam patterns of many different housings. Of course, now I can't find it. That thread convinced me to spend the extra coin on Cibie headlight housings. One of the most expensive options but they are quality units. Lows are wide with a good cutoff and highs like friggen laser beams. They're impressive for stock wattage bulbs. They can be found at Daniel Stern Lighting (https://www.danielsternlighting.com/) which is an great resource for all things quality lighting. When I purchased lights Daniel was very helpful answering all of my questions with good explanations.

There're other good options if Cibies aren't your style. I've heard people like Autopals. Hella also makes housings.

Bulbs are another good topic. Buy quality bulbs! Do some research. I can't remember much of what I read years back but I ended up purchasing stock wattage (60/55W) Osram Silverstar 2.0 bulbs. I bought two sets and haven't needed to replace one yet (knock on wood). Whatever you buy, do not get ones with a blue tint on the bulb.

Whatever you get, you'll be happy with the upgrade. This is one of those things that every XJ should get.

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 08-16-2018 at 06:37 AM.
HypnoGirl (05-19-2023)