Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having Hard Time Choosing Lift!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Having Hard Time Choosing Lift!

So I am finanly ready to lift my 98 XJ NP242 stock Daily Driver.

My problem is there are so many different lift kits and companies. I started either wanting a Skyjacker, Rough Country or Rubicon Express 3", 3.5" kit.
I then narrowed it down and was pretty set on getting the RE kit since it came with more stuff.

Now my problem is I have read a lot about the RE 3.5" kits sometimes netting like 4-5" of lift. If that's the case then I started looking at RCs 4.5" X-series $830. I really like this kit because it literally comes with everything except a SYE. I also was looking at Rustys 4.5" advanced kit $875. The 4.5" kits are a way better deal compared to the RE 3.5 kit $584.

So I would really like your help choosing the best kit. The Rough Country is the best Deal, but how good is the quality? And I haven't heard much on Rustys lift kits. I just don't want to spend $800 on a lift that will be sagging in 1-2 years.

Also this is my Daily Driver, unfortunately Florida does not have much terrain to crawl over so this XJ wont see much flexing and I will not mud it. Mainly for looks and to be more capable than now to go on weekend warrior trips out to my camp.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I would stick to the 3" kits if I were you. The rusty's 3" kit sounds like it would fit what you need pretty well. It also has the option for adjustable control arms if you want to go that route. Those would be good if you ever wanted to lift it more.

The RE 3.5" coils are super stiff, I think around 250lbs. I would buy the rustys HD ones which are listed at 180lbs.

I think 3" would be better because above that you start to get into big money territory. At 3" you can get away with short arms and a t-case drop. Around 4.5" you're almost at long arm and definitely at SYE territory.

Also you're in Florida, so cut those fenders out and run 33s on a 3" lift. That's the recipe for a bad *** lookin XJ.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Darn near everyone that replies is going to pitch what they bought just because it's what they bought.

I'm going to pitch what I sell (and ran on my own rig) for the same reasons.

Maybe it,'s time to ask why some didn't buy Brand A, B or C....or not.
Dunno.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by 98XJ321
I just don't want to spend $800 on a lift that will be sagging in 1-2 years.
It's only money, besides you are discussing a modification not an investment.
Pick whatever you feel suits your needs.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
I would stick to the 3" kits if I were you. The rusty's 3" kit sounds like it would fit what you need pretty well. It also has the option for adjustable control arms if you want to go that route. Those would be good if you ever wanted to lift it more.

The RE 3.5" coils are super stiff, I think around 250lbs. I would buy the rustys HD ones which are listed at 180lbs.

I think 3" would be better because above that you start to get into big money territory. At 3" you can get away with short arms and a t-case drop. Around 4.5" you're almost at long arm and definitely at SYE territory.

Also you're in Florida, so cut those fenders out and run 33s on a 3" lift. That's the recipe for a bad *** lookin XJ.
Thanks for the replies.

Mines a Limited 98 really like your sunroof. The reason I don't want to go with the 3" is because I have read too many times of people installing it then regretting and wishing they would have just got the 4.5. Im kinda going for the look that yours had. 31" ATs with like 4.5" lift. Also I saw your build, how big did you upgrade your lift to?

Last edited by 98XJ321; 03-28-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Darn near everyone that replies is going to pitch what they bought just because it's what they bought.

I'm going to pitch what I sell (and ran on my own rig) for the same reasons.

Maybe it,'s time to ask why some didn't buy Brand A, B or C....or not.
Dunno.

I don't sell anything, and I haven't bought anything (yet) but I'll chime in anyway.

From my research on smaller lifts, Rustys' sounds like it would suit your needs. I've heard they have a decent ride, but don't always hold up as well as others when wheeling hard. So if your not beating on it, I imagine it will be just fine for you. Zone makes a 3" lift, but some say it rides stiff.
OME lifts are 2.5 or 3.5 and are much more expensive, but supposedly ride like a Caddy.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Im going for this look. I like having the fenders more opened and not filled with giant tires.

I guess now I just need to choose between RC or Rusty's
Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Whichever way you go plan on shackle relocators into your initial budget. -$100 from HD Offroad Engineering. Couple other things to keep in mind. Shocks make a huge difference in ride quality and feel. Bilsteins are popular here and I was impressed with the difference they made. Short arms at over 3" are pretty harsh as they now send force into the frame instead of the spring/shock. Control arm drop brackets are a big help here, I run them at 5.5".", and they dramatically changed the ride/handling for the better. Long arms are even better but add significant cost. Best of luck, lifting is a journey and learning experience.

If I was to do it again I would most definitely go OME purely for ride. Coils plus ACOS would be a great combo.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I vote for Bushwhacker flat flares on stock suspension and 30 or 31" tires.
But if you like the look of too much lift and too little tire than you would like my rig.
Attached Thumbnails Having Hard Time Choosing Lift!-dsc04167.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 12:45 PM

Steve your XJ looks great
Old 03-28-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
Whichever way you go plan on shackle relocators into your initial budget. -$100 from HD Offroad Engineering. Couple other things to keep in mind. Shocks make a huge difference in ride quality and feel. Bilsteins are popular here and I was impressed with the difference they made. Short arms at over 3" are pretty harsh as they now send force into the frame instead of the spring/shock. Control arm drop brackets are a big help here, I run them at 5.5".", and they dramatically changed the ride/handling for the better. Long arms are even better but add significant cost. Best of luck, lifting is a journey and learning experience.

If I was to do it again I would most definitely go OME purely for ride. Coils plus ACOS would be a great combo.
Why would you need the shackle relocators? and If I do decide to go 4.5" ill go with RC since it comes with ADJ. Track bar, LCAs, and UCAs.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Shackle relocators give you some flexibility in height adjustment and improve ride significantly by allowing your rear shackle to move like it should. One of the best modifications you can do. I would add the no-lift relocators to a stock rig if I ever do another. It is that much of an improvement.

Adj control arms do nothing for the angle a lift >3" puts them at. They are still recommend for alignment purposes though. You'll see after you lift how the angle of the control arms makes for a harsh ride on small bumps, gaps on the interstate etc.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I also highly recommend CAD, control arm drop brackets, if you end up at 4.5".
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by 98XJ321
Thanks for the replies. Mines a Limited 98 really like your sunroof. The reason I don't want to go with the 3" is because I have read too many times of people installing it then regretting and wishing they would have just got the 4.5. Im kinda going for the look that yours had. 31" ATs with like 4.5" lift. Also I saw your build, how big did you upgrade your lift to?
I went from 3.5" up to 6".

The reason I think 3" is more feasible than 4.5" in your situation is because the higher you go the worse it will handle on the road and the more things becoming required.

At 4.5" you're starting to get into long arms or control arm drop brackets territory, along with shackle relocation brackets. Those are not necessary but that's what is required to keep the ride quality.

At 4.5" a SYE may or may not be a must, where as at 3" you can usually get away with a t-case drop if you have vibes. Also don't forget about brake lines and steering angles.

Really what it comes down to is how much money you're willing to spend and how well you want your jeep to perform all said and done. Find the compromise between the two and you'll be happy.

3" of lift on 31s is a common setup. If you cut your fenders you would have plenty of fender gap.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
I went from 3.5" up to 6".

The reason I think 3" is more feasible than 4.5" in your situation is because the higher you go the worse it will handle on the road and the more things becoming required.

At 4.5" you're starting to get into long arms or control arm drop brackets territory, along with shackle relocation brackets. Those are not necessary but that's what is required to keep the ride quality.

At 4.5" a SYE may or may not be a must, where as at 3" you can usually get away with a t-case drop if you have vibes. Also don't forget about brake lines and steering angles.

Really what it comes down to is how much money you're willing to spend and how well you want your jeep to perform all said and done. Find the compromise between the two and you'll be happy.

3" of lift on 31s is a common setup. If you cut your fenders you would have plenty of fender gap.
Thanks. The main reason why I feel like I should do the 4.5" is because it is such a better deal. The RC 3" is $510 Leafs, Coils, Shocks. Id still have to get a track bar $130, brake lines $50, and LCAs $150. And that is just the basics and its already up to the same price of the 4.5".

With the 4.5" you get every single thing that you need for a lift for $830. Just without the CA brackets, and Shackle relocation brackets, and SYE.

Since I have never seen my cherokee lifted and I have never seen in person another cherokee that was lifted to what I would want. I think I should just buy a $70 2" Budget Boost and see how I like that height to see if I would want a lot more or just a little. And then go from there. Is there a way to do a BB cheaper?

Also What 3.5" Kit did You have?

Last edited by 98XJ321; 03-28-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having Hard Time Choosing Lift!