Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatchless XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Hatchless XJ?

Lots of people go doorless, but anybody here also pull their back hatch off? Any issues with lining back up or other problems doing so? Anybody have pics?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Well I know the hatch door helps firm up the body; you'll get more body warping when flexing. For example: Go out and flex your jeep, leave it there and try to open the hatch. Its hard. Now try to close it; not going to happen.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

its easy to line back up, however the issue you will run into is the exhaust fumes running into the cabin.

as far as the hatch helping keep the body firm. that's not true just like what you take your doors off they have nothing to do with one another.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. The hatch like the doors are held on by two hinges and a locking mechanism, they aren't going to make a big difference in rigidity. If you're worried get some unirail sleeves (T&T Customs, etc) and weld them up. If you really want to make it last, go with a cage too.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Thats what i figured seeing as the old xjs had fiberglass hatches they couodnt possibly be structural. As for the fumes, how would it be any different than running a a Wrangler with the back window zipped out? I did that alot without issue.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

The doors have nothing to do with keeping the body firm. Correct. The hatch however does. It is a whole face of the jeep. When the jeep is flexed its torquing the body along the longitudinal axis. The doors aren't effected cause they're on the sides. The hatch however is located at one of the ends of this axis. I experience this all the time when wheeling; my jeep gets stuck while flexed out, I have to get my recovery gear from the back doors cause my hatch doesn't want to open. Soon as I get out, she pops right open.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by letsgomuddin
Thats what i figured seeing as the old xjs had fiberglass hatches they couodnt possibly be structural. As for the fumes, how would it be any different than running a a Wrangler with the back window zipped out? I did that alot without issue.
On those older XJs, they often had the problem of hatches cracking.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run this way for years. Never smelled any fumes. You're right. Even a Harley has the pipes right next to your feet and it's no big deal.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying your body is going to twist more.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by EagleXJ
Just to clarify, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying your body is going to twist more.
I understand your point, I just figured for daily driving anyway. Serious off road action gets the doors and the hatch back on since I dont like cleaning mud out of my dash and seatbelt retracters!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
I've run this way for years. Never smelled any fumes. You're right. Even a Harley has the pipes right next to your feet and it's no big deal.
A Harley doesn't have the same drag as an suv though, there's a pocket of air behind the vehicle that will pull the fumes into the body. Also carbon monoxide is an odorless colorless gas, so you never would smell it. Plus there are many minor effects of it that are not fatal but very not good for your health.

Op, yes it can be done. Looks awesome too. Definitley get some stiffeners in there though.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Im going to try it and if i have issues its easy enough to put back on.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Let us know how you do it.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by dogger15
its easy to line back up, however the issue you will run into is the exhaust fumes running into the cabin.

as far as the hatch helping keep the body firm. that's not true just like what you take your doors off they have nothing to do with one another.
X2 I wouldnt do it because of the fumes. Theres a guy on the forum that took his back glass out for the day and had a terrible headache from the fumes.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Easy as pie. Removed the rear header pannel (4 screws) and loosened the hatch pannel, then dissconnected the harness at the hatch. Then I pulled the harness thru the body and tucked it into the headliner. Cut the rear sprayer hose since it doesnt work anyway and pulled that thru also. Removed the 4 bolts holding the gate on and unsnaped the struts. Took 10 mins tops and made sure to mark the hinge positions so it will go back on easy. Didnt notice fumes too bad but thats probably because my exhaust dups right under the passenger seat with a turndown

Last edited by letsgomuddin; 05-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Hatchless XJ?