Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone ever mounted a cb antenna like this

Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: flux capacitor
Default has anyone ever mounted a cb antenna like this

My co- ax is really short, i had my antenna mounted to the bed rail of my tacoma. I didnt have the length to get it to the rear of the xj so i came up with this. It seems to get good reception here but wondering if any cb gurus can give me a good explanation why i would need to move it.

Last edited by knuckleduster271; 10-24-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

BESIDES THE FACT THAT YOULL GO CROSSEYED.... ITS PERSONAL PREFERENCE...!!!
and if its just temporary till you get a longer one then i wouldnt worry about it...!!!
just my opinion........
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Lol it really isnt very distracting, i cant figure out why those holes are in the fairlead to begin with. I was hoping someone would shed some light on that for me haha
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I feel with it being a fiberglass antenna it would snap up front with the first low lying branch it came across, u should get a small whip if u plan on keeping it there... or just spend 10$ and go get longer cable and mount it else where...
Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 AM

Although that would drive me crazy having it in front like that, it shouldnt cause any problems. As long as it's long enough to clear the roof by about 6" or more you should be fine. I doubt you'll have problems with it snapping either, but if that is a concern you can run a wilson 2000 it's steel with a coil, so you don't have to run a full length whip or get one of the thinner fiberglass ones they flex easier than the thick ones.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BEATNGU
BESIDES THE FACT THAT YOULL GO CROSSEYED.... ITS PERSONAL PREFERENCE...!!!
and if its just temporary till you get a longer one then i wouldnt worry about it...!!!
just my opinion........

haha!! you beat me to it. Def get crosseyed.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

My suggestion would be go purchase a quality antenna such as the Wilson 1000 which comes with 18' of coax and can be hard mounted or magnet mounted.
Installing the antenna where you have will give you directional receive and transmit for your CB. The best location for the antenna is on the roof giving you an unobstructed 360* radiation pattern and good SWRs.
A good rule of thumb when it comes to antennas and radios is..... ANTENNA, ANTENNA, ANTENNA.... The antenna makes the system not the radio... A quality antenna will allow a cheap radio to perform well, but a cheap antenna will not allow a quality radio to perform well.

The location ofthat antenna location would be VERY distracting... and as others have stated... "It will make you crossed eyed".
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

Originally Posted by Lyon
haha!! you beat me to it. Def get crosseyed.

Lol. My 8 foot dune flag is mounted on my front bumper of my XJ and it doesn't bother me one bit. It's on the right side factory hole.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
Lol. My 8 foot dune flag is mounted on my front bumper of my XJ and it doesn't bother me one bit. It's on the right side factory hole.
Yeah, I could see it being ok all the way to one side. It's dead center that I think it would be a problem. My eyes bug out when the windshield is dirty (onroad)LOL! . Offroad though, it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

It doesnt seem to bother me at all i may leave it, at least until i can fab a mount for it on the rear bumper
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 I6

looks kinda funny,but if it floats your boat go for it.ive been thru tons of cb's over the years after driving otr for 17yrs,i would get a radio shack bracket and mount it on the rear bumper or get magnet antenna for it.now,if you want to swing your radio out were you can talk over everyone,take your radio to a cb shop and tell them you want it peaked and tuned wit an amp.i use a president cb in my pete thats been peaked/amp wit a cheapo wilson antenna and can talk for miles without any other driver stepping on me unless they have the same hook-up.i had a buddy of mine that had his president peaked out and had it hooked to his alternator and you talking bout swinging,i could her him 32 miles away and you couldnt key up your radio sitting close to him cause his s*** will fry yours,trust me i know,fried my cobra 29 classic and i knew better.i can go forever wit this,luv cb's,anyway let us know what u come up wit.KOT
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by knuckleduster271
My co- ax is really short, i had my antenna mounted to the bed rail of my tacoma. I didnt have the length to get it to the rear of the xj so i came up with this. It seems to get good reception here but wondering if any cb gurus can give me a good explanation why i would need to move it.

As long as the swr is good it should work fine. Your signal may have a little more forward radiation pattern and folks behind you may have a little trouble hearing you at times.

The best installation is dead center in the roof. This will give you a better pattern. Yes I know there are there are many opinions on how a cb antenna should be mounted, but truth is good quality coax and antenna, installed with good grounds and clean connections will serve you well. Length of coax should be the length you need to get to the radio and tuning for the best swr.

Also looking at the pic again being that you are from Ohio you may want to protect the connector from the harsh weather it will encounter.

There are some good articles on this here is a link to one of them:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/myth-1.htm

good luck.

Last edited by NiteDog; 08-04-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add additional note
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by knuckleduster271
Lol it really isnt very distracting, i cant figure out why those holes are in the fairlead to begin with. I was hoping someone would shed some light on that for me haha
The holes are for fog lights.

My iPhone is lifted.... how bout yours?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Year: 1992

if your worried about it breaking they make a spring that threads into the bottom of the Firestick and then mounts... i bought one for my 5' firestick and i drive down brushy trails all day long with no problem