Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Grinding' sound after 2" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Angry 'Grinding' sound after 2" Lift

Just lifted my 2000 cherokee yesterday 2" rough country shackles, brand new OEM doorman leaf springs and rough country 1.75 front coil spacers.

When I drive it now I keep hearing this awful grinding sound, it honestly sounds just like bad brakes but my front pads are good and I just did my rear drums not even a month ago. When I hear it and step on the brakes it will spike, though I hear it come when Im not on the brakes as well.
I did notice my passenger side u-joint was completely shot, I mean like horrible, and that will be replaced soon. Driveshaft ujoints in the rear seem good, the one connecting to the t-case has a little play, perhaps thats worth replacing too?

Could a t-case drop possibly resolve the issue? As it stands im definitely replacing that U-joint in a day or two but I have a feeling it wont solve the sound. Im puzzled because it sounds just like a sticking brake but im not sure why doing a lift would suddenly throw my brakes out of wack
Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee

I would jack it up and go to spinning tires, could be a bad wheel bearing.
Wifes old 99 went out and let the brake rotor scrape on the hub.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by thebeast85
Just lifted my 2000 cherokee yesterday 2" rough country shackles, brand new OEM doorman leaf springs and rough country 1.75 front coil spacers.

When I drive it now I keep hearing this awful grinding sound, it honestly sounds just like bad brakes but my front pads are good and I just did my rear drums not even a month ago. When I hear it and step on the brakes it will spike, though I hear it come when Im not on the brakes as well.
I did notice my passenger side u-joint was completely shot, I mean like horrible, and that will be replaced soon. Driveshaft ujoints in the rear seem good, the one connecting to the t-case has a little play, perhaps thats worth replacing too?

Could a t-case drop possibly resolve the issue? As it stands im definitely replacing that U-joint in a day or two but I have a feeling it wont solve the sound. Im puzzled because it sounds just like a sticking brake but im not sure why doing a lift would suddenly throw my brakes out of wack
I'm gonna go ahead and day it's the driveshaft u joints... you changed the operating angle at which they have been their whole life...I would do all the u joints while you are at it because I'm sure they are all oem.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I'm gonna go ahead and day it's the driveshaft u joints... you changed the operating angle at which they have been their whole life...I would do all the u joints while you are at it because I'm sure they are all oem.
I agree, and make sure to use Spicer U-joints if you don't want to replace them again anytime soon.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

My guess is you somehow bent one of the sheet metal dust covers behind one of your disc brakes. It’s contacting the rotor. U-joints don’t make grinding noises when they go bad.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'm with Martlor as well. Replace ALL the ujoints. If that doesn't fix your problem, I'd be surprised. Do yourself a favor and get Spicer replacements.