Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good rear setup for 4.5"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Good rear setup for 4.5"

Looking for a few opinions for a good rear suspension setup for a 4.5" lift. Jeep already has a 4.5" on it just the rear is wore out. Wife dailys it on occasion and we wheel it about once a month.

It's gonna need new leaf springs the ones on it are pretty worn out. Also one of the shackles is a little bent up (guessing previous owner tried a recovery from that point) so I will be getting new of those.

Just looking for real life advice fellas. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1slowxj; 11-06-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If you plan on a 4 1/2" lift you need to check all that goes with it. But for the lift alone (the cheapest part) go with a full leaf, coil, shock, etc. package.

An SYE and tire size will tell you if the gears will need to be changed and lockers installed. Do some research on all that is required for a lift over 3".
Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM

I got most of that part. Sorry I didn't explain better. I got a 4.5" lift on it already just the rear is not where it needs to be anymore leafs are worn out.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowxj
I got most of that part. Sorry I didn't explain better. I got a 4.5" lift on it already just the rear is not where it needs to be anymore leafs are worn out.
Just get knew lifted 4.5 inch springs. You don't need anything special if your at 4.5 already
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM

I was just curious if maybe 3" leaf springs and shackles and relocation brackets were maybe a better idea? Or the slider brackets were maybe a better idea. Just seems like there are a ton of options out there to choose from. And with me needing all new stuff I'm figuring might as well do it right
Old 11-06-2016, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

I was just curious if maybe 3" leaf springs and shackles and relocation brackets were maybe a better idea? Or the slider brackets were maybe a better idea. Just seems like there are a ton of options out there to choose from. And with me needing all new stuff I'm figuring might as well do it right
Nah just get springs
Old 11-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most of what i have read and the route it took (have not installed yet) was 3-3.5 leafs a longer shackle and relocation brackets for better flex. i have installed the relocation brackets and am really impressed with them. i have the HD offroad engineering brackets
Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee89
most of what i have read and the route it took (have not installed yet) was 3-3.5 leafs a longer shackle and relocation brackets for better flex. i have installed the relocation brackets and am really impressed with them. i have the HD offroad engineering brackets

Agreed but you may not need the longer shackles as you will get some lift with the relocation kit.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Year: 2000

Just get the springs. Im thinking of order the Rubicon Express springs from Amazon. The pic doesn't show the bushings but according to description they do come with them.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RubenZ
Just get the springs. Im thinking of order the Rubicon Express springs from Amazon. The pic doesn't show the bushings but according to description they do come with them.
Yeah why get numerous other parts when all you need are springs
Old 11-07-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Yeah why get numerous other parts when all you need are springs
Shackle angle matters here. The shackle relocation kits are well worth it for a better ride and way better flex from the leaf springs. You dont know until you try it or have the opportunity to compare and or see how the better shackle angle changes how well the leaf springs can work. I have recently installed a relocation kit and set the shackle angle to about 45 degrees and the results are very noticeable. Now if all you want is the jeep to sit up higher then why go through all the work of relocation brackets, but if you want the suspension to work real well cause you go wheeling often then the shackle angle makes a big difference.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by winksjeep
Shackle angle matters here. The shackle relocation kits are well worth it for a better ride and way better flex from the leaf springs. You dont know until you try it or have the opportunity to compare and or see how the better shackle angle changes how well the leaf springs can work. I have recently installed a relocation kit and set the shackle angle to about 45 degrees and the results are very noticeable. Now if all you want is the jeep to sit up higher then why go through all the work of relocation brackets, but if you want the suspension to work real well cause you go wheeling often then the shackle angle makes a big difference.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Ok but look at the OP situation. And my old jeep with 4.5 lift had a 45 degree angle with no relocation brackets and drove real well so they aren't really necessary imo. But back to the op. It's his wife's daily, and they don't wheel it all that often. To me in this situation, all he needs are leaf springs and he'll be happy.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 PM

I am gonna be replacing shackles too (in original post). Just didn't know if I should get stock ones and 4.5" springs. And for 130.00$ I may give the relocation brackets a shot. I obviously don't have to do them right away. Maybe a future mod. Thanks fellas for all the replies sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier
Old 11-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I am gonna be replacing shackles too (in original post). Just didn't know if I should get stock ones and 4.5" springs. And for 130.00$ I may give the relocation brackets a shot. I obviously don't have to do them right away. Maybe a future mod. Thanks fellas for all the replies sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier
If you can weld adequately, you can make relocation brackets on the cheap with just some square stock that fits inside the factory shackle hangers and C channel for a fraction of the cost.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Ok but look at the OP situation. And my old jeep with 4.5 lift had a 45 degree angle with no relocation brackets and drove real well so they aren't really necessary imo. But back to the op. It's his wife's daily, and they don't wheel it all that often. To me in this situation, all he needs are leaf springs and he'll be happy.
the reason is because a 3-3.5" leaf spring is going to flex and ride better than a 4.5" leaf spring. Now if he said he tows a lot and doesn't go offroad then i would say just go 4.5" leafs because they will support the weight for towing better.

But he said he offroads and wants daily driving and offroad so the best ride and flex for offroad is going to be 3-3.5" leaf with relocation brackets and use a longer/shorter shackle to adjust his height