Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goferit tie rod flip Already researched.Just a few question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Goferit tie rod flip Already researched.Just a few question

Ive read alot of the threads on the tie rod flip insert and I read somewhere that to flip the passenger side tie rod you need a right hand side tie rod end?Is this confirmed.I ordered a iron rock tie rod just waiting on new ends till I find out for sure.And then Ill order the goferit inserts for both sides if this is true.I also have a drop pitman arm and I understand I need to go back to the stock pitman arm.Cause with my 3-4.5 lift I have perfect geometry as of now.I know these things have been covered just wanted to confirm before I "wast" the money.Thanks in advance really apreciate any help.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

not sure but i would like to know
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Not familiar with the Iron Rock kit but if it's just a tie rod you won't be able to use but one of the inserts. You need to go to crossover steering to use them on both knuckles and the kit has to made for OTK.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badlands1
Ive read alot of the threads on the tie rod flip insert and I read somewhere that to flip the passenger side tie rod you need a right hand side tie rod end?Is this confirmed.I ordered a iron rock tie rod just waiting on new ends till I find out for sure.And then Ill order the goferit inserts for both sides if this is true.I also have a drop pitman arm and I understand I need to go back to the stock pitman arm.Cause with my 3-4.5 lift I have perfect geometry as of now.I know these things have been covered just wanted to confirm before I "wast" the money.Thanks in advance really apreciate any help.
FYI, if you raise the drag bar connection you're going to cause bump steer issues. To avoid that, you need to raise the trackbar axle mount location so they remain parallel.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you're talking about but if these are those, "drill out your taper and weld-in" inserts then ya, you have to raise that trackbar. Otherwise when the body rolls, it will steer the truck.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Year: 2001

I have an RC 6.5 kit in my XJ.I had to do a OTK swap to certify my truck for the road, so this is what I did.

Being from New Zealand, it is also a right hand drive model. I ditched the original drag-link bar from the pitman arm, and sourced a tie-rod end from a left hand drive XJ. I then swapped the original tie rod end from the left side of the steering and placed it on the other side, and had a length of chromo tube milled up to lenght. Just had to re-mount the steering stabilzer.

Works a treat, hasn't failed on me yet.

I hope the pictures explain in more detail.
Attached Thumbnails Goferit tie rod flip Already researched.Just a few question-imgp0485.jpg   Goferit tie rod flip Already researched.Just a few question-imgp0490.jpg  
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

^^ooo, intricate... nice work^^

Originally Posted by badlands1
if you used the insert on that passenger side, you'd need a Left-Hand drive drag link connecting the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle... you could use the insert on the driver side & flip the TRE, no problem (though Tie Rod could possibly come in contact with sway bar end link mount)... which pitman arm will depend on what the final angles are

Originally Posted by s14unimog
FYI, if you raise the drag bar connection you're going to cause bump steer issues. To avoid that, you need to raise the trackbar axle mount location so they remain parallel.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you're talking about but if these are those, "drill out your taper and weld-in" inserts then ya, you have to raise that trackbar. Otherwise when the body rolls, it will steer the truck.
& like unimog has pointed out, you will have to re-angle the track bar to match the drag link angle... Over The Axle (OTA) track bar axle mount might be the solution... JKS, Synergy Suspension through PolyPerformance have this one, & this one, & TNT offer a couple... to name a few... i'm sure Bluetorch, Ruff Stuff, or Liquid Iron have options as well