Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me advice on off-roading!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Give me advice on off-roading!

Ok now here are the basics. I've got the D35, 31" Tires, and a 3" Rough Country Lift. I understand the basics on how not to break my rig when wheeling, but I've really only just gone through mild mud and some snowy roads.

Can anyone give me advice on how to take some more serious trails and in the process how to best preserve the hardware I have?

I guess what I'm asking is from other people's experiences, what things should I watch out for when wheeling?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

best thing to do is bring a friend who is experienced as your passenger

and also bring a spare tire

read this for more info
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/co...heeling-11829/
Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Hey that article was a good read, I also read the one about water crossing but really I'm never gonna cross water with this thing lol. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

My best advice would be to join a club or group, if you can. There is generally a ton of experience and help if you wheel with a club, and most clubs always ensure good practices, such as Tread Lightly, plus already have knowledge of area's you'll be wheeling at.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Use your head. Don't go alone. Do have recovery gear. Have a good spotter. If you sense major pucker factor, don't do it. No need to be a hero. Common sense and knowing your abilities go a long way in my book.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
If you sense major pucker factor, don't do it. No need to be a hero
this is the whole fun part about wheeling! that adrenaline. and often times when you pucker, you're totally fine it's just in your head. try new things safely with a good spotter. if it feels scary then good you're having fun

if you start to roll, turn into it and hit the gas
Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM

I like the idea of a club, but really I think this forum should be a club. I've already been in contact with a few people around my area, and other than 1 ORV park I know of most of my wheeling will be country roads, and a few off-road places I know of around my hometown.

Since my XJ is my DD I think the don't be a hero mentality will be the best thing I can think of, because I can't really afford to replace any parts since I'm a college student but I definitely want to put my baby through her paces.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by headRUSH
Since my XJ is my DD I think the don't be a hero mentality will be the best thing I can think of,
Until you start pushing the envelope and getting the old adrenaline flowing....
Old 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Atmos
this is the whole fun part about wheeling! that adrenaline. and often times when you pucker, you're totally fine it's just in your head. try new things safely with a good spotter. if it feels scary then good you're having fun

if you start to roll, turn into it and hit the gas
I agree, but I think what I said is misconstrued...definitely try new obstacles and such, my point is if you have a bad feeling about something, then avoid it. Listen to your inner voice, LOL. I have had a few sphincter-tightening moments that have been avoided by either "when in doubt, throttle out" and just stopping and backing out of the situation. Have fun, but don't be stupid. Better to be around a campfire at the end of the day than on a flatbed tow truck or the hospital.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Its all about the seat time, experienced friends and spotters are a plus, but you gotta feel it in the seat of your pants! A little time and you'll be screwed like the rest of us.....one more mod to go steeper and deeper, and then another, break-fix-repeat!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by elkwagn
Its all about the seat time, experienced friends and spotters are a plus, but you gotta feel it in the seat of your pants! A little time and you'll be screwed like the rest of us.....one more mod to go steeper and deeper, and then another, break-fix-repeat!

Haha yes!!!
I can't wait until I'm in the swing of things. My exhaust is my next upgrade...

I used to have a 1968 AMC Ambassador that I souped up, it had dual exhaust with glass packs on it. Do glass packs sound good on jeeps? Or what could I do to get a deep throaty sound like that?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Do glass packs sound good on jeeps? Or what could I do to get a deep throaty sound like that?
no not at all. gonna have to be a flowmaster 40 or something
Old 01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of a club, but really I think this forum should be a club. I've already been in contact with a few people around my area, and other than 1 ORV park I know of most of my wheeling will be country roads, and a few off-road places I know of around my hometown.

Since my XJ is my DD I think the don't be a hero mentality will be the best thing I can think of, because I can't really afford to replace any parts since I'm a college student but I definitely want to put my baby through her paces.
If you off road you risk breaking something. Goes with the territory.

Mine is my DD also. Doesn't keep me from anything. Know your jeep. Know what's good, what needs replaced and what is wearing. Make sure the jeep is 100 percent before you go.

I had a u-joint that squeaked just barely. Figured I could wheel just one day on it. Wrong! Had to cut the day short and hardly made it back.

Don't think you can just "get by" until its convenient.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM

So what does "40" Mean on Flomaster? I like the idea of going with Flomaster because I know they are one of the best brands, I just don't understand what the 40 means
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Year: 1998

So what does "40" Mean on Flomaster? I like the idea of going with Flomaster because I know they are one of the best brands, I just don't understand what the 40 means
I can hear a FM 40 two blocks from my house..a FM 50 one block away.

Personal preference on what you like. Both mellow out nicely above 45mph.

There are videos on youtube of examples.

In the vendor section, mudfrog at http://performance-curve.com/flowmaster.aspx is a good source.

Last edited by 4OHI6; 01-08-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Give me advice on off-roading!