Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to do my 3" lift, do i have everything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Getting ready to do my 3" lift, do i have everything?

I bought the Rough Country 3" kit with full leafs.

I have:
-Front shocks
-Front coil springs
-Rear shocks
-Rear leaf springs
-U-bolts
-Replacement hardware for rear upper shock mounts
-Replacement bolts for leaf spring mounts

I've been told this is all I need.

After looking up step-by-step instructions on how to do this lift, I find that I might not have everything.

Do I need:
-New control arms
-Longer Sway bar links

What else do I need? Is there ANYTHING ELSE I need? I listed everything I have, am I missing something important that's going to leave me without a vehicle when I get halfway through and realize i don't have something?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

You dont need new control arms.
You dont need longer links up front.
You can completely remove the rear sway bar with no adverse effects.
Id think about an adjustable track bar in the near future.
Straighten out your front brake lines.
A longer rear brake line if you are going to flex it. A Dakota, S10 brake line will work.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM

Ok, that's good info. Thank you.

If I'm going to be doing mostly daily driving (for a while, till i recoup some money), I should be ok running the stock brake line?

Also, you suggested removing the rear stab bar, but if i chose to keep it, would the links be long enough?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by 77olds

If I'm going to be doing mostly daily driving (for a while, till i recoup some money), I should be ok running the stock brake line?

Also, you suggested removing the rear stab bar, but if i chose to keep it, would the links be long enough?
U really don't need the rear sway bar at all
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Yes. If you want to keep it the links will be fine. And I know you are only going 3in but there is still a slight chance you might get some driveline vibes. You should be fine but RC leafs also run a bit higher. If you get some vibeage in your case all you would need is a tcase drop. Its a slight possibility tough.

Last edited by helmut; 04-05-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker

PB Blast every bolt/nut/castle nut/cotter pin multiple times a day for at least a few days before you start....life will be much easier.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Not to hijack..but I'll probably be getting the RC 3" kit soon with the LCA. My xj is 2wd so if I get vibes then obviously a tc drop wouldn't help but what would be a fix for vibes on a 2wd lifted xj??
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM

I bought the Rough Country 3" kit with full leafs.

I have:
-Front shocks
-Front coil springs
-Rear shocks
-Rear leaf springs
-U-bolts
-Replacement hardware for rear upper shock mounts
-Replacement bolts for leaf spring mounts

I've been told this is all I need.

After looking up step-by-step instructions on how to do this lift, I find that I might not have everything.

Do I need:
-New control arms
-Longer Sway bar links

What else do I need? Is there ANYTHING ELSE I need? I listed everything I have, am I missing something important that's going to leave me without a vehicle when I get halfway through and realize i don't have something?
With a 3' lift your LCA's need to be 1/4" longer. you can shim the factory LCA pocket or buy 16" fixed arms,the stock upper control arms will be fine.front brake lines need to be lowered(threads on this)you can buy a rear break line extension bracket,longer front sway bar discos are needed also.the rear sway bar is better off being removed for flex.IMHO a front track bar is a wise decision and not one of those hoakie extension brackets,that always work loose. enjoy the lift..
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by helmut
Yes. If you want to keep it the links will be fine. And I know you are only going 3in but there is still a slight chance you might get some driveline vibes. You should be fine but RC leafs also run a bit higher. If you get some vibeage in your case all you would need is a tcase drop. Its a slight possibility tough.
I work with a guy who fabs race car chassis in his spare time, has a full machine shop, so I'm thinking a couple solid chunks of 1" steel should make good t-case drop spacers, eh?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

make sure you either get a new track bar or drop bracket. dont worry about the control arms at 3". sounds like you got the tcase covered. prob need longer sway bar links.

if the rear leaf springs are too short from rc then you will need relocation brackets to fix shackle angle or it will ride like a empty dump truck

Good luck man!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

You do not need anything for the sway bar stock one lines up fine but quick diskos will be great offroad, track bar u dont need either but eventually getting a bigger adjustable one is nice, as for control arms dont bother, youll want more lift in three months anyway and will need them then
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
Not to hijack..but I'll probably be getting the RC 3" kit soon with the LCA. My xj is 2wd so if I get vibes then obviously a tc drop wouldn't help but what would be a fix for vibes on a 2wd lifted xj??
driveline vibs are caused by (most the time) by increasing the pinion angle, since you have a 2wd xj, your driveshaft should be plenty long enough.

For example i have the shortest rear ds in a xj......4.0-aw4-242-8.25 and i HAD to do a tc drop because of the bad vibs.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by xjchris

driveline vibs are caused by (most the time) by increasing the pinion angle, since you have a 2wd xj, your driveshaft should be plenty long enough.

For example i have the shortest rear ds in a xj......4.0-aw4-242-8.25 and i HAD to do a tc drop because of the bad vibs.
Awesome thanks!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM

Ok, I placed the order through Quadratec for the JKS Track Bar.

So if my rear leafs from RC are too short, as someone just mentioned could happen, I will be 100% screwed. This is my only vehicle and when I take this thing apart to do the lift, it has to be road worthy by the end of the day.

Guess I'd better get out the measuring tape.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Ok, I placed the order through Quadratec for the JKS Track Bar.

So if my rear leafs from RC are too short, as someone just mentioned could happen, I will be 100% screwed. This is my only vehicle and when I take this thing apart to do the lift, it has to be road worthy by the end of the day.

Guess I'd better get out the measuring tape.
You are not screwed at all. They go in just fine. Rc leafs are a bit shorter and they will pull your shackle forward a bit, making the ride stiffer. The shackle should idealy be at 45 degree rearward and since it will be more vertical it wont "give" when you hit a bump. Totally driveable and might not even bother you. If you decide its too bouncy then yes get the RC relocators. But they will give you .75 in more lift with the shackle at 45degree. I have both the relocators and RC leafs but my leafs are RC 4.5s. Oh yeah, and measuring tape won't help for because the leafs are arched

Last edited by helmut; 04-06-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to do my 3" lift, do i have everything?