Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default gear questions

I am looking to re gear my xj. I have the 8.25 out back and the LP d30 in the front. running 33in tires. the jeep is my DD, just looking for the best gears for it for a decent price. not looking to break the bank.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

unless you can get an axle with gears already installed, you're going to spend around $1,000 or more for parts and labor. That being said, I believe most people are going to reccomend 4.56-4.88 gears for those 33's
Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by fctry286
I am looking to re gear my xj. I have the 8.25 out back and the LP d30 in the front. running 33in tires. the jeep is my DD, just looking for the best gears for it for a decent price. not looking to break the bank.
First things first, I would ditch the LPD30 for a HP one. Second, do you ever plan on bigger tires? If so, your gearing ratio choice should be based on that. You should also be asking yourself if you want lockers or not, if you're doing it on the cheap, you don't have to put 'em in, but be warned, why do the work twice? If you're in there now, get it done now if you want it locked. Also factor in the install cost, unless you plan on doing it yourself, and if you've never done gears before, I HIGHLY suggest you really, really research on how to do it right, and have someone who has done them help you, and make sure you have EVERYTHING you need, tools included, before you dive in.
Originally Posted by askingxforxit
unless you can get an axle with gears already installed, you're going to spend around $1,000 or more for parts and labor. That being said, I believe most people are going to reccomend 4.56-4.88 gears for those 33's
It will depend...are you auto or manual trans? If auto, and not changing tire size, 4.56 is the way to go, stick shift go with 4.10's...that will get you close to what it would drive like with stock gearing and stock tires. If auto and planning on 35's, you'll want 4.88's, and stick, 4.56...I wouldn't go bigger than 35's on either of those axles, though, so if you plan on running bigger than 35's, you have a LOT of research to do....
Old 12-17-2014, 04:25 AM

Engine: 4.0l

I do have a manual, and maybe down the road will run 35 but that would be WAY down the road. I will just stick to the 33's for right now.

I do have all the tools to do them myself and have someone helping.

I was thinking about running the 4.56's, what brands do you recommend? and what locker?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by fctry286
I do have a manual, and maybe down the road will run 35 but that would be WAY down the road. I will just stick to the 33's for right now.

I do have all the tools to do them myself and have someone helping.

I was thinking about running the 4.56's, what brands do you recommend? and what locker?
Okay, manual with 4.56 sounds like you're good to go...that way when you do upgrade tire size, you'll be ready. It'll run fine with 33's.

Tools...make absolutely sure you have what's needed, I had to make a tool to set the backlash on the 8.25...you have to go from the axle tube on the wheel side all the way to the pumpkin to set it, you'll understand why once you see it...
gear questions-20140729_180209c-r-painted.jpg

As far as brands...well you're going to get lots of answers here...Yukon, is widely considered to be the best out there. You will pay for that. When I did mine, I got most everything I needed from Frank at Serious Offroad. Probably could have gotten them cheaper, but Frank has my business, great guy to deal with, excellent service, so I don't mind paying extra to support a small business. I can't remember who the front gears came from, but the rear was Sierra gears. Happy with both, fit was perfect, and they aren't any noisier than they were before.

Lockers...you're going to be limited to the 8.25, not many options for it. You can get a lunch box front and rear for not much money (comparatively speaking), but if you want a selectable, you'll pay much more. When I did my gears, I didn't have much money, so I left them open. I'm kicking myself now. Just my .02 on that.

Bottom line is shop around, do some research on the brands available, and make the best decision for your situation. Hope this helped.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Roninofako is right on... I went w/4.56 gears as I was on 33's & have an Auto. Wish I went 4.88 as I'm on 35's now. I also spent time buying everything at once. Sold a crap load of stuff on eBay & Craigslist to get funds for air lockers / gears / master installs, etc. you don't want to pay for a regear twice. Local shop did mine for $800 (I dropped off the axles). Also try to upgrade to a HP30 & get the correct gears (reverse rotation) if you do go HP.

Best upgrades, should have done gears & lockers a lot earlier.....

I purchased my stuff from RWK Haus (vendor), he is another great guy to work with just like Serious Offroad. Both great companies & really helpful when asking questions.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes if possible do everything at once gears and lockers same labor for both so might as well do together. I have an AW4 trans 33" tires now and have 4.56 gears, now plan on a second set of tires have extra rims for 35"'s and wish I had gone with 4.88 gears....live and learn.

I found my best gear deal on gears from Rustys Off Road same gears I'm running in my race cars at 1800HP on a transbrake launch good gears. For the D30/Chy 8.25 set of 4.56's with 2 master install kits package was under $500 maybe $450. The 4x4 shop that installed the gears and lockers in my XJ charged me $200 per differential and I supplied the parts. The lockers were Detroit Lockers in both and I love them, If you can find a HPD30 for around $200 like around here I would go with it if you ever plan on it as gears and lockers are different for those 2 differentials. If you don't install a locker in the D30 you will need a new carrier for the gear change. I bought one new and never used it for mine from Rustys used a locker instead, for sale discounted