Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full width lift kit options

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Question Full width lift kit options

OK guys, here is whats going on, I am going to do full widths with a ford D60 and 10.5 rear. These will come sometime next year. I will be getting a lift first to offset some costs. I know their is some fab work going to be needed and I dont want to go 3/4 link yet, so my question is what lift would yall recommend to start off with? I want somewhere between 6.5-8" so when the full's or on I can run 37's. Im just looking for the best option to get me from stock to lifted and then to full widths. I will most likely upgrade to something else later. Im working with a stock 96 sport. (I am aware of the other parts needed. i.e. SYE, Extended brake lines, ect.) Im just looking for company and kit recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you buy the swap brackets for the front axle you can reuse all your lift parts nothing custom besides the steering linkage.Look at http://www.tntcustoms.com http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/ and i believe jks also makes them.The rear will be easier talk to ruff stuff ask for a sterling 10.5 swap kit.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Thanks andrewmp6,

But im looking for lift kit options. I am aware of TNT and there stuff looks great but first I need the lift kit. Im looking for something that I can reuse once I get the axles in. I was looking at IRO but have heard some not so good things. I want a long arm system so I can run the full axles and still have room for growth later. Because why stop at 37s. Any kit suggestions or parts to make a lift would be great. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

you will need to go ahead and go to 1- ton steering also
Old 08-05-2016, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Anylift kit can work with full width, the custom part is just going to be cutting the old brackets off the axles and adding new ones in the correct places. So you can go from the very cheapest with Rough Country to the high end with Clayton or rock crawler. But in all honesty, you sound like someone thats gonna want to go bigger in the future, so why not set the front up on coilovers.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Have you checked out any other builds? I've seen a couple really old threads on here where they used a TNT long arm for their 1 ton swap.

The hangup here is you need a kit that can be angled outward to accomodate the new width of your axles. Pick a couple kits that you like (not IRO) and call the company and see if they can offer any insight. Most kits should be able to get the job done
Old 08-07-2016, 11:23 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by 6135
Thanks andrewmp6,

But im looking for lift kit options. I am aware of TNT and there stuff looks great but first I need the lift kit. Im looking for something that I can reuse once I get the axles in. I was looking at IRO but have heard some not so good things. I want a long arm system so I can run the full axles and still have room for growth later. Because why stop at 37s. Any kit suggestions or parts to make a lift would be great. Thanks again guys.

Keep yours eyes on IRO their maybe a 3 link front in the future and they are test a rear 4 link. With the option for going to ONE tones.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Keeping the rear leaf springs will be cheaper and a easier install also.Unless your trying to build some pro crawler with max flex then the rear 4 link is better.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Keeping the rear leaf springs will be cheaper and a easier install also.Unless your trying to build some pro crawler with max flex then the rear 4 link is better.
With the tons and large tires, you'll need a high quality leaf spring or a traction bar or even a combo of both. I'm not a fan of the departure angle with leafs and shackles either. If you're doing it right the first time around it's not much more money to go straight to the 4 link. "Flex" has very little to do with it for me
Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I am looking at Full Traction LA 6" Kit. The coil overs for the front seem nice but a bit pricey. I will stick with the kit for now and maybe think about it after the full widths go in. Im still shopping around for a kit and getting the rest of the items together. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

How big of a tire are you wanting to run in the end ?The stock dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 can handle 35s if you beef both up.If you want 37s or bigger then i would think hard about 1 ton axles skip anything smaller.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
How big of a tire are you wanting to run in the end ?The stock dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 can handle 35s if you beef both up.If you want 37s or bigger then i would think hard about 1 ton axles skip anything smaller.
I am looking 37's with full widths in the end. I dont have the money to do it all at once, so im trying to see what lift kit will work best with stock axles now and will be the easiest to swap over to tons. I am aware of all the steps to get tons setup, so im just looking for lift kits options. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:38 PM

I have decided to go with a Full Traction 6" lift kit for my build. I now have another question which I may start a new thread about. Does anyone think the following list of parts is enough to hit Moab, and the Rubicon trails with.

Transfer case:
NP231
Teralow 4:1 kit
Tera 2Low kit
JB Conversions HD SYE
Wide Chain

Driveshafts:
Front and rear Adams custom drive shafts

L6 4.0:
Full stock rebuild
99+ intake manifold
Header (not sure which one yet)
77mm Throttle body
Motor mounts (Maybe Brown dog)

Axles:
Dana 60 front (Locked)
Sterling 10.5 rear (Locked)
Not sure on Gearing yet

This will be a lightly used on road vehicle and weekend trail runner with a couple trips a year to further places. Im in so cal and would like to drive it to Moab one day. Im gathering parts and making decisions now and will start building early next year any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

NOOO no teralow. That case is absolute garbage and that's a grip of money to spend on a 231. If you want t-case gearing you need a rubicon nv241OR 4:1 or just go straight to an atlas

In my personal experience, I was A-Okay with the factory np231 driving my 1 tons. stock chain and everything. Get 5.38 gears. with the np231 SYE 2.72:1 I always had enough woopow and enough gearing to crawl slow with the automatic trans (you will need a good trans cooler or you'll cook that AW4 if you've got one). This cheap t-case setup lasted me for 4 years and 2 different jeep builds. keeping the cost low on that allowed me to save up for my atlas

plus with the 5.38's I was getting 14mpg highway. not bad for 37" tires and tons
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
NOOO no teralow. tons
Thanks man,

I have been hearing a lot about the Teralow kit and not good things. This is what I was looking for as far as making a decision, I will be rebuilding my Tcase anyway so im going to upgrade planetary gears, chain, and add the 2 low kit. Does anyone know what is the best (do it once) parts to get. My goal is to build this thing once and be done. (I know things happen down the road) But if I can do it once then I want to do it right. Like stated before this will be a lightly used rig so hopefully it lasts. Thanks again guys.

P.S. its a 96' AW4.

Quick Reply: Full width lift kit options