Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Cell/Relocated Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Fuel Cell/Relocated Tank

For Renix eras: Anyone ever use a fuel cell that keeps your stock fuel pump for simplicity? Any regrets or issues just dropping the tank into the back with the floor cut out? I've read you can use a YJ pump with a cell and can use the connectors. Just doing research trying to figure out what I want to eventually do. Thought about cutting the floor and using the stock straps to raise it 1/4 into the cab to keep the fuel hoses at a better angle while still in the stock filler location and not have the tank as high into the cab.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Guess i'm going to do something similar to this, cut and raise it through the floor then put covers over the tank and the funnel hoses.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

This is where my stock fuel tank sits ...in the pic it was full of crap while installing the rough work for the rear ori struts but that rectangular hole the drill press and misc crap is in be where it usually sits .

and this is the bottom ...just a sheet of 3/16th .

when I cut out the hole I plated the inner rail , ran a section of 4 Inch channel at the forward part between the plated rails then ran tube between the rear between the plated rails and the ram 1-3/4 tube on the sides the length between those welded them up and fully seam welded the tubes , c channel to the bottom plate as well as full seam welded the bottom plate to the plated rail . This bottom plate extends all the way out to the outside rail and is plug welded to bottom of the rail and to the out frame stiffeners . With the floor plating all four sides of the rear rails are now plated . I don't have any pics of it before I pulled it apart to start this strut install and with all the inner cab work I still have yet to put it back in . But I had covered the tank simply by making a frame from 16g square 1 inch tube and cutting aluminum sheet to cover it fastened with self tapping screws . When the tank goes back in I'm going to bend up tube and make a fancier cover. I ran the filler neck out from the box but never got around to running it out the body but with the stock vapor line hooked up I never did smell any fuel inside the cab . If you use aluminum sheet to cover the tank it looks just like any other aluminum cell a jazz fuel cell is just a plastic bladder with metal box it sits in . My 99 is plastic your remix is probably metal with a lip around it... really doesn't matter it's the same idea just a hole cut and bottom added to sit the tank on it's not rocket science.