Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front lunchbox locker - Sand, mud and turning in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front lunchbox locker - Sand, mud and turning in 4wd

I know there are a bunch of lunchbox locker threads out there, but they're mostly regarding daily driving.

I'd like to know from people with experience running these in the front axle in 4wd in situations where the gas pedal is needed - for instance in soft sand tracks when turning or rock climbing up a steep obstacle where tight turns and momentum are needed.
Does it ratchet through turns in those situations (when under power) or is it impossible to turn? No snow here, so just curious about zooming around sand, up rocks and through mud whilst turning.

I have a 2000 4.0 Auto XJ 3inch 31's and a low pinion dana 30 up front with 3.55 gears - am I setting up to snap shafts and destroy u-joints?
I haven't heard of many guys complaining about lunchbox lockers breaking stuff, but logic dictates that it will be much more likely.
Don't plan on going any bigger tyre wise, just want to make it a super capable mild off roader and DD/overlander

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have no problem turning in 4x4 with my front Spartan locker and 31s. For off-road I prefer an auto locker in the front over a selectable, when a selectable locker is locked it is like a spool and does make it difficult to turn, but an auto locker will still unlock when it needs to.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I have no problem turning in 4x4 with my front Spartan locker and 31s. For off-road I prefer an auto locker in the front over a selectable, when a selectable locker is locked it is like a spool and does make it difficult to turn, but an auto locker will still unlock when it needs to.
Ok so it still ratchets when turning in the front turning whilst under power.
I see you're also running a similar setup to mine, have you broken much in the dana 30 as a result of locking?
Was also looking at a Spartan - relatively quiet on the street in 2wd?

Last edited by RudeXJ; 11-05-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

No experience on sand with my front locker, but lots in rocks and some in mud. In rocks, it is point and shoot. The front climbs stuff very well. Going forward up hill is great. If there is any wheel slip such as on sharp switchbacks, it performs quite well. Going down hill though on those sharp switch backs requires a back up sometimes since both wheels are locked together. In mud it steers well and you have the advantage of being able to have the suspension twisted up and still have tractions at all wheels
Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Ok so it still ratchets when turning in the front turning whilst under power.
I see you're also running a similar setup to mine, have you broken much in the dana 30 as a result of locking?
Was also looking at a Spartan - relatively quiet on the street in 2wd?
It will ratchet any time the outside wheel wants to turn faster than the carrier, it doesn't matter if it's being powered or not. I haven't broken anything yet, I am putting 35s on it soon. The lockers are quiet on the street, I use 85w140 gear oil in the axles and I believe that helps keep them quiet.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
No experience on sand with my front locker, but lots in rocks and some in mud. In rocks, it is point and shoot. The front climbs stuff very well. Going forward up hill is great. If there is any wheel slip such as on sharp switchbacks, it performs quite well. Going down hill though on those sharp switch backs requires a back up sometimes since both wheels are locked together. In mud it steers well and you have the advantage of being able to have the suspension twisted up and still have tractions at all wheels
Thanks for the feedback - didn't consider them locking going down hill...that seems like it could get tricky especially in off camber situations?

We have a bunch of hilly, twisting sand trails round here that require a lot of skinny pedal so I'm curious wether hitting the rev limiter and trying to turn the wheel, or being turned by the sand tracks your'e in (which often happens), will be possible/cause stuff to break.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM

"It will ratchet any time the outside wheel wants to turn faster than the carrier, it doesn't matter if it's being powered or not." - Even when hitting the rev limiter bombing up dunes? I'm guessing that will probably break something...
Thanks for the heads up on the oil - I'm sure it makes a difference.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

I have had mine up to the rev limit in the mud and never had an issue, with 31s your not likely to break anything. I would be more worried about the tie rods, the ZJ tie rod upgrade is a good idea.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Thanks for the feedback - didn't consider them locking going down hill...that seems like it could get tricky especially in off camber situations?

We have a bunch of hilly, twisting sand trails round here that require a lot of skinny pedal so I'm curious wether hitting the rev limiter and trying to turn the wheel, or being turned by the sand tracks your'e in (which often happens), will be possible/cause stuff to break.
I haven't noticed anything like that
Old 11-05-2018, 12:53 PM

I guess the only way to know for sure is to get a locker and test it out and get used to how it reacts in different situation.
I've seen plenty great reviews on lunchbox lockers, so I'm sure it'll be fine for what I plan on using it for.

Last edited by RudeXJ; 11-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Year: 1994

I also have a Spartan up front it has been great overall , it does get a lil hard to turn in the tight twistys but not crazy and it behaves very well on the street in 2wd im running 4.10 gears and 34x10.50 swamper tsl on beadlocks at less than 5 psi . I run a Yukon grizzly locker in the rear ford 8.8 . I have beat the pants off of this setup and has never left me stranded
Old 11-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Aussie in the front of mine on 31s, on my low pinion i managed to blow up the pinion gear. On my high pinion I haven't broke any parts in the axle, although I have broken both of the upper control arms trying. As long as you're on a terrain where the tires have some slip turning isn't terrible.

Last edited by tank647; 11-05-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by tank647
I have an Aussie in the front of mine on 31s, on my low pinion i managed to blow up the pinion gear. On my high pinion I haven't broke any parts in the axle, although I have broken both of the upper control arms trying. As long as you're on a terrain where the tires have some slip turning isn't terrible.
By the sounds of things you wheel pretty hard? How did you blow up the pinion gear and control arms if I may ask?
Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
I also have a Spartan up front it has been great overall , it does get a lil hard to turn in the tight twistys but not crazy and it behaves very well on the street in 2wd im running 4.10 gears and 34x10.50 swamper tsl on beadlocks at less than 5 psi . I run a Yukon grizzly locker in the rear ford 8.8 . I have beat the pants off of this setup and has never left me stranded
Spartan in a Dana 30 with 34's? That gives me confidence
Old 11-06-2018, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I ran a front lunchbox on 2 different Jeeps. That's where I prefer it on the street its relatively invisible. In the trail I like how it pulls me over obstacles

you still have the ability to turn even under power. Steering effort is a bit higher. If you need to make a really tight turn you can always shift to 2wd then back to 4h or 4L I got pretty good at speed shifting the tcase haha

Quick Reply: Front lunchbox locker - Sand, mud and turning in 4wd