Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front axle upgrade help

Let me start by saying I have done a lot of looking and lurking on sites looking for info and checking out some awesome rigs, but am new to the offroad hardcore stuff. I have a nice 99 cherokee that I wheel now but want to get serious. Please note that I am not new to building rigs, been racing cars on asphalt and dirt for years, but I know nothing about front Axles and plan to build a full width cherokee/buggy that is chopped. What I need help with is either finding a chart or list of front axles that shows what vehicles you could find them in, what width they are, which side drop they are etc., or some suggestions as to what you guys would go with and what the strengths and weaknesses are. I am not looking to just buy a drop in from one of the manufacturers 1st because I cant afford it and 2nd because I want to build this myself, but I hear things like Kingpin and dont even know what they are talking about. Plans are for a small block chevy and 40" tires, may go th350/205?(so pass drop), will stay coil in front and leaf in rear with a 3 link front long arm. Maybe this is all misguided, but that is why I am asking and open to ideas. I hope this is in the correct section, not sure where else to post it!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

So I no sooner post this than I find my own answer over on Pirate4x4, with a complete list on the Dana 60 info. Still open to thoughts though
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Kingpin axles are nice but ball joints are almost as strong and easier to find. If you go passenger drop keep in mind you will have to cut the floor and build new mounts for the passenger side front seat. Much easier to stay with a driver drop case.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

If you don't have much money than a front dana 60 might not be a great option.for.you. they are expensive to buy build and parts like brakes are expensive.
The ford kingpin 60 is the most opted for but is driver drop and great because it it a high pinion axle. If you want pass drop look for a Chevy 60 they are a little easier to come by and have ball joints. I doubt the bj or kp matter will be an issue for you since you make one part stronger and you end up breaking the next thing in line

Also forgot to say to the guy who replied first, when your chopping a xj and making a buggy I'm sure cutting the floor won't be an issue and isn't very painful once the first cut is made lol.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
If you want pass drop look for a Chevy 60 they are a little easier to come by and have ball joints.
i have yet to come across a chevy 60 with ball joints. all had kingpins.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Looking at the charts the only ball joint 60's were in later model Fords. I'm not scared to cut, we only use the firewall and floor to just past the drivers seat when building street stock dirt racecars, and build all of our cagework and bumper/siderail protection. Problem I have is I'm in Montana, and nice weather wheeling days are few and far between( roof and heater nice to have), but there is so little headroom for me in my cherokee and exo's are so much more work I think it will be a chop. My buddy has what he thinks is a 60 that came out of a UPS 4x4 delivery van (driver drop) that I am going to go check out (already coil and control arm), but then I have to figure out what to do for a t-case thats driver drop to hang on a TH350. Price is practically free though. This rig will be a basicfun wheeling rig, not specifically built for any one purpose, there are unlimited miles of trails right out my back door, beauty of living in Montana!!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Year: 1996

just for reference can you post a link of the list you found?
ive done some looking but havnt found the list your talking about.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
i have yet to come across a chevy 60 with ball joints. all had kingpins.
All I have see are kingpins also. I have seen many pics of busted ball joint 60 though. No way the ball joint 60 are close to being as strong as a kingpin
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 96rokee
just for reference can you post a link of the list you found?
ive done some looking but havnt found the list your talking about.
Its known as the "axle bible" http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html
lots of info...

Originally Posted by meancherokee
All I have see are kingpins also. I have seen many pics of busted ball joint 60 though. No way the ball joint 60 are close to being as strong as a kingpin
I would agree, but under the weight of a Cherokee Its nothing I would worry about....
Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj

Its known as the "axle bible" http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html
lots of info...

I would agree, but under the weight of a Cherokee Its nothing I would worry about....
X2. Even with a king pin there's always something else to.break. I saw a king pin 60 at king of the hammers a few weeks ago tear off the whole inner c. No he wasn't in the race...
Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

hmm, i need to keep an eye on this