Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Stiffening, New Floors and 2x6 Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Frame Stiffening, New Floors and 2x6 Rockers

So here's what I have and some plans for it.

I just recently bought a 92 Sport 4 door with some major rust. I think the kids I bought it from trucked it around the farm and rolled it on it's side. Anyways, I am in the process of removing the floors and making plans on how to move forward. I am planning on putting some frame stiffeners on, but am unsure which brand or a DIY. I am new to fab, but I paid so little for this thing I honestly am not worried about junking it (of course would rather not ). I am leaning toward a DIY 3/16 3x3 angle iron welded from the front back to the leaf mounts. The bend near the crossmember I was going to accommodate by cutting the angle iron into 3 pieces with proper angles cut to allow it to be welded into one length, will this be too weak? I also may end up using some 1/4" 4x4 which I am concerned may both be too thick for my welder and to big to fit properly, any input on this?

Okay now the second thing is the floors and rockers. I am planning on using 16ga steel for the floors, I am removing most of the old floors, even where not rusty just to make an even stronger floor. Now the rockers are pretty bad and I am planning on doing the 2x6 rocker panel from MADXJ, my question is about connecting the rocker supports to the inside floors. My idea was to instead of box in metal to the pinch weld angle iron to the new floor boards at the pinch and take another angle piece on the outside (support for the rockers) and weld it to the bottom of the floor boards (making more or less a sandwich) and then tack welding the pinch into this. I thought this may be the strongest most effective way of doing it not only because of the thickness of the new material but the ease of welding the old thin pinch? I would then run 2x2 square stock supports from the recently stiffened frame.

Am I getting carried away or does this make sense? If I need to explain further I will do my best. I am new to cars and fab. I am a bicycle mechanic for what it's worth and I would like to believe a very mechanically inclined individual. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.