Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light routing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Fog light routing

Ok, so forgive me if I'm starting a thread that has been posted before (I have searched and found pieces/parts of the answer I am looking for so I'm trying to find it all together, lol). Also, if this should be moved to another location, by all means.

Ok, so to the question. I have a set of fog lights that were installed on my Jeep before I bought it. The question I have, and I'm an electrical noob, is...is there anyway to wire the fog lights to where they will come on with the high beams AND!!! still be able to be manually switched on from the switch that is on the console. If so, could someone explain the wiring, fuses, relays, all of that stuff on how to wire it up and not catch it on fire or burn everything up, lol.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 PM

Year: '88 trail rig, '01 D.D.

You could but you may want to check your state laws. Here in Texas it is illegal to run an axilery light and brights at the same time.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

simplest & easiest way, run 1 wire from + of the battery to an inline fuse (fuse ampacity depends on the wattage/number of ur fogs) then to the fog light switch....from the other side of the switch, to the black/positive of the fogs....white/neutral from the fogs, just ground them to the chassis or the - battery (electrically the same)

the center console in our 98, IMO, is EXTREMELY easy to access, the surrounding HVAC control/radio/air vent bezel just pops off, 3 screws on the 12v plug-in/cigarette lighter/switches mount, & ur in

best wire route to go, would be driver side firewall....u can try passenger, its possible, but a royal PITA
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM

I def. will check my local laws first. So, for your setup, that will allow the fogs to come on automatically when I turn my brights on AND with just the flip of the switch in the console?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Member

nope....u manually work em....so if u dont turn them off (via fog light switch), regardless of key position, they're on

if u want them to work with ur headlights, u'd have to wire off the headlight relay....still with fuse protection (wether in the factory fuse box or inline fuse)...but i think they'd still turn off with highs...i'm just a little unfamiliar with incorporating fogs/accessories with relays....i kno the main purpose of a relay is to cut/divert power to the accessory/electronic in certain "settings" (i.e. headlights, radio, heater turn off when key position is off, or fogs turn off when highs are on)

if u'r wanting to work ur highs & fogs for maximum light output when off-road, then why worry about state laws....just dont drive on the streets with both on
Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 PM

ok, thanks man
Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM

well, how would you run them through the headlights then...with a fuse and whatnot.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

i have seen a thread on here that you can take one of the relays out and bend one of the prongs so that they will still be on while your brights are on. I really didn't care for doing this so didn't follow through with it myself but if you search for it you can find which prong on which relay to bend out so it doesn't connect to your relay panel thats inside your engine bay.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Take it for what its worth. I have done the following on 6 maybe 7 cars over the years. Just wire the fogs into the parking light wires. This way they will be activated with the stalk and no extra switch will be needed. Also they will stay on with the highbeams on.

I have never had any fuse blow with any of the cars i did this too. Oh and the wattage fogs i used was 55 watts. I would not wire up any higher wattage than that.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5TD
Post Dual ON switching

Originally Posted by nick2326
. . . is there anyway to wire the fog lights to where they will come on with the high beams AND!!! still be able to be manually switched on from the switch that is on the console. If so, could someone explain the wiring, fuses, relays, all of that stuff on how to wire it up and not catch it on fire or burn everything up, lol.

Thanks in advance.
If I've understood the question right, you want to have two options for the fogs, either auto-on with Hi, or manually switched on/off.

This can be achieved by replacing the existing switch with an ON-OFF-ON version. This would have 2 inputs, one from the Hi beam feed, the other from a +ve source - I'd use the parking light circuit so that you don't leave the fogs on by mistake!

See the diagram in the link for how to use a relay, although take note of the comments regarding position in the circuit - particularly that the switch would be at the top-left!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fog...x2/#post956127

Implementation of the connections depends of what's existing and exactly how you want it to work. For example, the OE wiring on mine is so that the switch makes them work with the parking lights on. I could therefore add the Hi-beam function with the existing switch by simply adding a feed to the output of the switch from the Hi-beam circuit. However, that would mean the fogs would always be on with Hi, whereas with a replacement switch as above you would get the choice of having Hi without fogs when the switch was OFF.

HTH