Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor pan - swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Floor pan - swap?

So I'm always on Craigslist looking for a deal and with my interior needing some sort of upgrade to bring it into the modern age. So a 2007 Wrangler pops up and the seats are pristine looking. So my jeep, the interior seats are tired and worn out, my floor pan could be better on the driver's side and the passenger side it swiss cheese still because I've been waiting for new seats to repair under the seat mount in case the seat mount is replaced anyway.

The idea is to take the interior out of the Wrangler, buy the carpet, seats, and center counsel. Then cut out the floor pan from rocker to rocker, similar to the panel below.

The point of not just taking the seats and putting them on my existing seat tracks is the fact mine are rusty. Plus with the wrangler floor, I can get some accessories like under the seat lock box, floor mats, etc
I know it wouldn't be the easiest of things to do but if you have any advice on the process or the struggles I would face if I chose to go that route.

On a similar note, I will be doing the same with a newer steering column, but not from this wrangler, just a newer jeep with volume buttons and such. Off topic.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You'd be better off getting some new tracks and making mounts to fit the seats to the cherokee floor pan instead of swaping in a new floor pan entirely.

Cherokees are a unibody vs a wranglers actual frame, you will run into issues trying to cut the floor pan out from rocker to rocker due the fact the cherokee floor pan ties into the unibody rails.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by LACK
You'd be better off getting some new tracks and making mounts to fit the seats to the cherokee floor pan instead of swaping in a new floor pan entirely.

Cherokees are a unibody vs a wranglers actual frame, you will run into issues trying to cut the floor pan out from rocker to rocker due the fact the cherokee floor pan ties into the unibody rails.
Yeah I figured the frame and all the difference between that and the unibody would be my biggest difficulty. It's just a though, I know the WJ and ZJ seats go in with relative ease just by bending the feet to match the pan angles, but those seats are getting harder and harder to find the ones I would want from the ZJ and the WJ ones aren't the most comfortable by any means.

Just a thought I wanted to ask the forum. who knows. Plus I may wait for some seats with heat in them. The 2 door cherokee limits me a little on the passenger seat needing to be easily folded forward too.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by kylemason
Yeah I figured the frame and all the difference between that and the unibody would be my biggest difficulty. It's just a though, I know the WJ and ZJ seats go in with relative ease just by bending the feet to match the pan angles, but those seats are getting harder and harder to find the ones I would want from the ZJ and the WJ ones aren't the most comfortable by any means.

Just a thought I wanted to ask the forum. who knows. Plus I may wait for some seats with heat in them. The 2 door cherokee limits me a little on the passenger seat needing to be easily folded forward too.
i have wj overland seats and have yet to find a more comfy one, in non high-end luxury cars that is haha.

like he said, you should put your time into trying to fit the new seats on the XJ tracks. If you had to replace your entire floor pan because it was so rusted, and it happened to fit the trans tunnel and match the disposition of the XJ, then i guess you could try it out, but other than that, it seems like a ton of work for minimal gain.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cane
i have wj overland seats and have yet to find a more comfy one, in non high-end luxury cars that is haha.

like he said, you should put your time into trying to fit the new seats on the XJ tracks. If you had to replace your entire floor pan because it was so rusted, and it happened to fit the trans tunnel and match the disposition of the XJ, then i guess you could try it out, but other than that, it seems like a ton of work for minimal gain.
Not sure how the Overland seats compare to the Limited WJ seats I have but I just never liked them that much. And the stitching looks pretty blocky to me.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I don't think the wrangler seats are all that comfortable. Pretty stiff.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I don't think the wrangler seats are all that comfortable. Pretty stiff.
I like a stiffer seat, keeps my locked in a little better. but I have ridden for a few hours in my friend's 2015 wrangler but maybe that is a different representation of the seat with them being so much newer. I never minded my '94's wrangler seats either. but that also doesn't say anything for the newer construction.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 01-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '99

I might be knit picking, but Cherokees do have an actual frame. They're similar to a unibody in the sense that they have unified body panels, but the body does have a frame.
That being said, I do think you're right about it being easier to adapt a mount.

Last edited by babygotflak; 01-21-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

I made 2009 ford fusion seats fit in my XJ. Theres a ton of options you can make fit. Get some generic sliders, find a seat you like and build a bracket to mount them to the floor.

I posted photos of the adapter brackets I made in my build thread.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by kylemason
if you have any advice
Buy the Wrangler, dump the rust bucket Cherokee.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 237 Likes on 137 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

I made 2009 ford fusion seats fit in my XJ. Theres a ton of options you can make fit. Get some generic sliders, find a seat you like and build a bracket to mount them to the floor.

I posted photos of the adapter brackets I made in my build thread.
I agree. I put a set of Hyundai Tiburon seats in my XJ and it was pretty straight forward. I used the XJ floor brackets and sliders.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I don't think he wants a boyfriend that bad lol.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I don't think he wants a boyfriend that bad lol.
That's cold dude,
LMAO.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There are some aftermarket seats you can use like procar,corbeau and the suspension seats.