Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Towing an XJ w/ an F-150

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Flat Towing an XJ w/ an F-150

I'm doing some research here but not coming up with exactly the same facts.

I have a '98 Cherokee that I planned on towing out to Ouray from Denver to do Black Bear Pass, Imogene, Engineers, etc in about two weeks. I planned on using a uhaul trailer being pulled by my 2014 F-150 Ecoboost XLT which has a tow capacity between 8500 and 9500lbs - not sure exactly, but I know there's enough. Uhaul has some weird rules about not being able to tow more than 80% of the vehicles curb weight. So, that rules out me using Uhaul.

What do you all think about flat towing an XJ on 31's and 4.5 inch behind a 2014 Supercab F-150?

I have a winch bumper with frame tie-ins, so I feel pretty comfortable drilling holes in the bumper and mounting to it. I'm a pretty cautious driver (i.e. grandpa), but I've heard flat towing can be a little sketchy. Most people do it with a very large vehicle like an RV. I'll be going up and down all the mountain passes between Denver and Ouray.

I could just drive the jeep, but my F-150 is more reliable and comfortable - especially when going uphill.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sure you can do it. I don't understand how you plan to by your description, but all you need is a receiver hitch on the tow vehicle, a baseplate on the toad (vehicle to be towed), and a tow bar in between. I like Blue Ox products.

http://www.blueox.com/

You're looking at several hundred dollars to do it right. Some would suggest you need brakes on the toad as well which it where it gets really expensive.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:55 PM

I think I will just drive it and save the money for more preventative maintenance.

I drove the Jeep 1,000 miles this past weekend (Denver - Moab - Crested Butte - Denver). It did break down down due to the AC compressor bearing seizing. It was making awful noises by the time I got to Moab, so I picked up a bypass pulley and was able to swap it on the side of the road (sorry atmosphere). Moab was worth the drive, though.

I just picked up a new serpentine belt and idler pulley. The only "original" item is now the alternator. This jeep only has 120k miles on it, but I've had to replace the entire cooling system, the majority of the accessories, and now the AC system. The 4.0 is reliable though!
Old 09-05-2018, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't know what uhaul official rules are, but the truck and trailer I rented from them was a bone stock f150 and the tandem axle vehicle trailer. Used it to tow a 99 Mustang GT several times (~3200 lbs) and they never said a thing. The trailer doesn't even have electric brakes, just a surge brake...

Very surprised they are saying an ecoboost won't safely pull it. Can't imagine the XJ being that much more? ​​​​
Old 09-05-2018, 05:49 PM

They have a base rule where the trailer and load cannot weigh more than 80% of the curb weight of the vehicle. I've read some other forums of people complaining about it. It seems like they typically only apply the rules to cars and small trucks, but I'm still concerned.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

I've personally never had u-haul even ask what I was going to pull or use to pull it. It's really none of their business. Your personal insurance will cover your vehicle and anything you tow with it. I would just rent the trailer if you like and use it as you will. If they ask tell them the wife has the Superduty in the shop and it won't be available until the day you leave and you just want to load the smart car for your daughter's surprise birthday party at college this weekend.

Yes, being sarcastic but I can't see what concern it is of theirs what your doing with the trailer so long as its returned in like condition as when you rented it. Just have to work the system man.

Home of Bad Advice
TexasTaz38
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by texastaz38
I've personally never had u-haul even ask what I was going to pull or use to pull it. It's really none of their business. Your personal insurance will cover your vehicle and anything you tow with it. I would just rent the trailer if you like and use it as you will. If they ask tell them the wife has the Superduty in the shop and it won't be available until the day you leave and you just want to load the smart car for your daughter's surprise birthday party at college this weekend.

Yes, being sarcastic but I can't see what concern it is of theirs what your doing with the trailer so long as its returned in like condition as when you rented it. Just have to work the system man.

Home of Bad Advice
TexasTaz38
it is their business though...some jacktards will try and tow 7 tons or something on an suv, wreck cuz they cant stop or something, kill someone, and then u haul will be in lawsuits for lending them a trailer to do something stupid when they could have prevented it.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by texastaz38
Your personal insurance will cover your vehicle and anything you tow with it.
You should probably take the time to actually read your policy.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

As stated in my post, I was being sarcastic. Common sense does have to come into play and I understand some folks simply don't have any common sense. That's what rules are for. Everyone seems to be "sue" happy for sure and never want to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes, you need to check your own insurance policy as to coverage for any scenario. My insurance does cover my vehicle and trailer but I have commercial insurance as well.

I fail to see the issue on putting an xj on a tandem axle car trailer and towing with a Ford F-150. Maybe the newer aluminum Fords put the xj over the 80% curb weight rule, I wouldn't know.

I was being silly. Lighten up fellows. We have all violated the 80% rule towing vehicles I suppose. I know I have, but not with a u-haul trailer. I wonder if that same rule applies to their enclosed trailers.

TexasTaz38
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I recently pulled a tandem trailer with my XJ on it for about 30 miles with a 2017 Ford F-150 4 door, i believe its an eco-boost with a small bed. Not my truck, borrowed it from my mom. I can say it did awesome, slight sluggish but i was not flooring it... was concerned if my tie-downs were correctly done. Good news, it made it!!!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

buy your own trailer then do what you want !!