Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First cherokee

Old 09-26-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First cherokee

What are some things i should look for when i consider my first cherokee?
Old 09-27-2014, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If you hear a sucking sound, it's trying to get to your wallet.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Common problems are:

-exhaust leaks (cracked exhaust manifold)
-blown head gasket (white smoke out exhaust or overheating)
-heater failure (some sort of problem with heater core or blend door)
-death wobble (aka bump steer) (test at approximately 50mph +/- and hit small bumps - if it has it, it will happen)
-leaky oil filter adapter (leaks at the block where an L shaped adapter is attached)
-leaky oil pan, valve cover, etc.
-power door lock actuators failing
-air bag light (clock spring in steering wheel)
-poor or 'slipping' shift (throtle position sensor or maybe tranny)
-high idle (idle air control motor)
-no start or random dying (crank sensor or cam sensor)

My mileage limit is 125k before a lot of these issues start showing up, but anything can happen. Pretty much every XJ you find will be over this mileage by now.

If it has over sized tires or a lift you will want to check for a crack in the uni-body near the steering gear box (driver's side front - about where the tire is).
Old 09-27-2014, 02:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And crawl under it look for rust and rust holes in the rocker panels and floor pans.And look for a 4.0 inline 6 its got enough power and will run 300k no problem if taken care of.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XJake.
What are some things i should look for when i consider my first cherokee?
Take a test drive long enough to make certain the motor gets up to temp and does not overheat. As well as make certain the transmission works properly.

Check the motor for any coolant leaks. Look in the radiator cap and make certain the water looks like antifreeze and not rust or muck.

Rust happens. Death wobble is easily fixed. Bearings, joints, etc ...is normal wear. Check to see if the rear leafs are still adequately holding the jeep up.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pay very close attention to the unibody frame-rails. Look for any deformations, bends or cracks. Keep an eye out for welds in unusual places.

Here's a few pics I took last night of the soon to be gone frame on my project. See if you can spot the problems....

Last edited by SeriousOffroad; 09-27-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If you have the original owner, great. If not, then ask if it was taken offroad or not. I bought my 94 from original owner who swore up and down it was never taken off road. HA HA. Somehow in not taking the Grand off road TWO engine mounts were broken and I had the Jeep Death Wobble until I had someone spot them!!!

Also be VERY VERY FUSSY about just how much frame rust there is. My 94 had the frame near passenger tire just about ate thru this summer and I had to send her to the old jeep home (read junk yard) for a permanent rest.

Here in Ohio it makes no difference if you buy from a lot or a private person.....they ALL will lie like a rug just to get rid of the car - so use your best judgment on ANY Jeep you want to buy or take an experienced Jeep owner to look over and help you.

Jeeps are very hard to kill but they can be messed over big time by an amateur. The older ones don't seem to have blown engines unlike the Jeeps in the 2000's do. I bought a 97 as there is not too much of the newfangled stuff on this model unlike the newer ones. The newer the car the more sensors, etc they seem to pack on the car.

The blend door can also be a problem. Sometimes they end up in the defrost position permanently and unable to direct heat or a/c anywhere else. Can be fixed without tearing the dash apart via the glove box but I'd give them a rashion of grief about it and insiste $ taken off as it's a huge expense to fix at a dealership. (they probably don't know about the fix thru the glove box for a few dollars and will probably go along with your scenerio).

Try to avoid really high mileage ones as well. Be sure to check oil dipstick so it's real oil and not 90 weight oil in the crankcase! Also check tranny dipstick to smell if tranny oil burnt or not. Check for rust on the bottom of the doors and rocker panel. This portents frame rust for sure.

Bottomed out or extremely worn driver's seats are also a good indication of the overall condition of the jeep. If worn out on the outer sides of the seat, then it tells me a fatso owner didn't properly take care of the car either.

Feel the wires for brittleness. Wires should be changed at least evry 5 years. If not newer then it gives you the heads up owner neglected simple stupid things and probably a lot more "stupid things" as well.

Buying a used car is an art not easily learned or mastered. I am usually leery of someone who wants to sell too quickly. Be careful out there, my friend. Most Jeep owners hang onto good Jeeps and ditch the problem ones.

Last edited by twinkiedooter; 10-23-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you buy anything have a mechanic look it over top to bottom and a compression test.It might cost you 200 bucks but will keep you from buying a pile of junk that will cost way more to fix in the long run of things.