Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally installed my grab handle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder
Default Finally installed my grab handle!

I want to thank ElMartillo for giving me the inspiration to do this.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/an...andles-236426/

However, i could not install the OEM grab handle the same way as ElMartillo because they were interfering with the sight out of the windshield.
Must be different A-pillar trim angles or something over the years.
So i decided to install it as in my F150 facing the rear passenger corner.
I can't tell you all what great benefit the grab handle is getting into and out of a lifted Cherokee.

The install was a lot more challenging than i though it was going to be.
Mainly because of the differing angles of the trim, the angles of the grab handle and extremely tight dimensions to work with.
I had only 1" of trim width and a 1" grab handle width to work with.
Further, that one inch turned out to be about a half inch due to the interference of the rubber window stripping.
Anyhow, here's how it went.

First i made a template of the handle foot print.

Next pulled the trim to see what i'm dealing with.
Every previously hot-glued trim clip broke from my headliner replacement a few years ago.

Trimmed a piece of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x1/8" angle iron stock i had on hand to fit the A-pillar and grab handle.

Drilled the index holes and tapped the grab handle threads for 10-32 cap screws.

Perfect fit.

Turned down a 10-32 screw to locate the approx. position where to cut the access holes in the trim.

The bracket all bolted up to the A-pillar ready to install the trim piece.

Trim clips re-glued back on and in place ready to screw on the grab handle.

Finished product. Not perfect mainly because of the end cap fits but good enough.
I had to extremely modify those grab handle end caps to conform to all the trim, handle and bracket angles.
I don't know why these Jeeps didn't come stock with these.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Excellent work! What would you charge me to ship a pair of those brackets? I think you have a marketable product there. Include a couple paper templates to lay out the holes to be cut in the trim panel and you are in there. I need one on the passenger side also. My wife is short and catches hell getting into the Jeep.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Thanks bad_idea!

Not hard to do yourself.
Though i used my milling machine, same could be done with an angle grinder, drill press, drill bits, bench grinder and a set of taps.

The bracket was the easiest part. The hardest part was determining where to cut the access holes in the trim piece.
Then modifying the handle to fit in the tight dimensions and modifying those dam end caps. The end caps were not designed to conform to the new angles.
A lot of trial and error monkeying around on the bench grinder to get everything to fit and look acceptable.

What i would do is get an OEM grab handle from the boneyard. Think i paid $10 for two of them.
Then experiment with the handle placement on the A-pillar.
See if you can get away with installing it the same way ElMartillo did shown in the link in my 1st post and make sure it doesn't obstruct the windshield view.
Would be a lot more straight forward install. No bracket needed in that case.
With my newer XJ, unfortunately it obstructed the view when placed that way.
Apparently the A-pillar and/or trim angles changed over the years.

Also the A-Pillar metal is not uniform and has several dips and valleys and several holes to contend with as shown below.
The reason you see two slots in my bracket. The first positioning slot i milled didn't work out.

A closeup of the end caps shows they're not an absolute perfect fit. Still a work in progress.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I know I could make the brackets, I do Fab work for a living. Just lazy. Would be great if you could crank me out a pair of brackets with templates for the trim panel. Again, awesome results. Looks factory.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I know I could make the brackets, I do Fab work for a living. Just lazy. Would be great if you could crank me out a pair of brackets with templates for the trim panel. Again, awesome results. Looks factory.
IMO, this project is best done with the specific XJ in mind, scoping it out and taking it one step at a time.

Sorry but i don't want to get into making these things and have the responsibility if something goes wrong.
Once the handle access holes are cut into the trim, its the point of no return and potential disaster.
I tried to totally remove the trim piece but gave up. I think part of the dash has to be removed in order to get it out.

A-pillars/trims apparently changed over the years, modification of the handles/end caps, one's skill set.
I don't even know if a 2-door A-pillar is the same as a 4-door which i assume it is but can't say i'm a 100% sure.

Finally, i didn't jot down any dimensions of the bracket since it was a one time deal for me.
I'd have to tear the trim off again to get the critical dimensions of where i placed the important location of the bracket positioning slot.
Don't want to deal with those trim clips again.

IMO, installing these OEM grab handles is best done on a one by one basis with the specific Jeep in mind.

With your fab experience, making the bracket should be a piece of cake for you.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

Nice job, and thanks for the mention.

Looks like it's the trim that was causing the mount position trouble. Looking at the photos yours is a completely different shape.

Cheers!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
Nice job, and thanks for the mention.

Looks like it's the trim that was causing the mount position trouble. Looking at the photos yours is a completely different shape.

Cheers!
Yeah, i set out to install the handle like you did but it obstructed the view out of the windshield. And in the important pedestrian side view.

Looking at one of the pics of your Jeep handle install, i noticed the front side window vent which Jeep discontinued i think back in the mid 90's.
The trim angles definitely changed over the years.