Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fill wheel well, after trimming.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default fill wheel well, after trimming.....

So, I trimmed my front wheel wells and need to fill that gap. I'm currently using the pool noodle trick that I learned here, thank you.

That being said, I have an idea and want your input.....

I'm thinking about using screen door material and Flex Seal..... You know, that stuff we see on infomercials. My idea is to trim the screen to fill the gap, figure out a way to attach it, and cover the screen in flex seal. I, of course, intend to leave a gap for water to escape and all that.

So, what do you all think? I have no idea how to attach it and can't think of any drawbacks, at the moment. I am thinking I may need to keep some pool noodle in there, to keep the fender from flexing too much at freeway speed.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by chops505
So, I trimmed my front wheel wells and need to fill that gap. I'm currently using the pool noodle trick that I learned here, thank you.

That being said, I have an idea and want your input.....

I'm thinking about using screen door material and Flex Seal..... You know, that stuff we see on infomercials. My idea is to trim the screen to fill the gap, figure out a way to attach it, and cover the screen in flex seal. I, of course, intend to leave a gap for water to escape and all that.

So, what do you all think? I have no idea how to attach it and can't think of any drawbacks, at the moment. I am thinking I may need to keep some pool noodle in there, to keep the fender from flexing too much at freeway speed.
That stuff is crap. It will not hold up. If you are going to leave the noodle anyway why go through the trouble of doing whatv your describing? If the color of the pool noodle is bothering just paint it. There is a reason flex seal is so cheap even with all its bold claims
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Why not just spray the flex seal right over the pool noodle? Scrub the wheel wells up, jam noodle in, spray with flex seal.

My plan, when I get there, is to cut some light gauge sheet metal to replace the plastic wheel wells. Some self tappers to attach it.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I've never used the stuff but it sounds plausible. I've been looking for a fix for my rear wheel wells. The PO hacked it up pretty good.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:48 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Why not just spray the flex seal right over the pool noodle? Scrub the wheel wells up, jam noodle in, spray with flex seal.

My plan, when I get there, is to cut some light gauge sheet metal to replace the plastic wheel wells. Some self tappers to attach it.
I was thinking the screen simply so it would be flat and easier to shape it to match the wheel well. I also plan on "rhino-lining" the wheel well mostly for aesthetics.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Big David
I've never used the stuff but it sounds plausible. I've been looking for a fix for my rear wheel wells. The PO hacked it up pretty good.
Holy hell...I thought my PO hackjob was bad...

You win, LOL

That said, I have a general rule of thumb. If you can buy it at Home Depot, and not the auto parts store, there's a good chance it doesn't belong on your jeep...
Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

It's not bothering me since I have the cage. I just don't want the water & mud getting in.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Year: 1995

Looks like the back seam- I did the same thing but not quite as extreme
I'm thinking of using some sheet metal and rivet it in to keep dirt from filling the rear panel