Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i-6 4.0

1. I have a blown head gasket (96 jeep xj 4.0)
Is this all I need gasket wise?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51100_0019.htm

2. replaceing motor/tranny mounts also these okay?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76057_85X_PG.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76058_831.htm

3. transfer case after sye.
How hard is it to open the case up now do you have to take the tail housing off or just take it right apart?
(To change the chain)

Thinks guys, I'm redoing my xj runing and driveing wise while its parked, thinks guys

Last edited by jeepsurfer1; 05-22-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by jeepsurfer1
1. I have a blown head gasket (96 jeep xj 4.0)
Is this all I need gasket wise?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51100_0019.htm
Don't cheap out on your head gasket set dude. You'll pay more for a Fel-Pro set, but I wouldn't use any other gasket set. Period.

If you're going to go spendy on motor mounts, look at Ironman or Brown Dog motor mounts. I still run your average run of the mill trans mount since it only costs me $10 a pop for my application, so can't comment.

3. transfer case after sye.
How hard is it to open the case up now do you have to take the tail housing off or just take it right apart?
(To change the chain)
Case has to come apart to do the chain. How hard depends on your ability to read a shop manual, if you have the right tools, and your overall skill level. Have fun diving in!

Last edited by emptypockets; 05-23-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by emptypockets

Don't cheap out on your head gasket set dude. You'll pay more for a Fel-Pro set, but I wouldn't use any other gasket set. Period.

If you're going to go spendy on motor mounts, look at Ironman or Brown Dog motor mounts. I still run your average run of the mill trans mount since it only costs me $10 a pop for my application, so can't comment.

Case has to come apart to do the chain. How hard depends on your ability to read a shop manual, if you have the right tools, and your overall skill level. Have fun diving in!
1. see that's why I ask this is something I will only do once, its served 165,000 It deserves to have problems and ill fix them once
2. I'll take a look and see what I can find for about the same price, rustys has them along with tons of smaller places
3. I got yea but I needed a new chain when I did the sye and now I regret not swaping it then, do you half to take the tail housing off again? Along with all the lock rings?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by emptypockets

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fel-hs9076pt that everything bud, just makeing sure ill have everything
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

well, have you had the head taken to a machine shop? Because if you haven't, it could be pointless to put a new gasket on the block if the head is warped or cracked. Just went through this on a friend of mines truck. While yes, the reason it was running hot was because the head gasket was blown, he went through all the trouble to pull the head off, spend $100 on a gasket, and it didn't help at all. The head was warped and needed to be decked and pressure tested. I just trying to save you some headache and frusturation. How do you know its a head gasket? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just trying to help
Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FlJeeper90
well, have you had the head taken to a machine shop? Because if you haven't, it could be pointless to put a new gasket on the block if the head is warped or cracked. Just went through this on a friend of mines truck. While yes, the reason it was running hot was because the head gasket was blown, he went through all the trouble to pull the head off, spend $100 on a gasket, and it didn't help at all. The head was warped and needed to be decked and pressure tested. I just trying to save you some headache and frusturation. How do you know its a head gasket? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just trying to help
I'm gonna pull it and have it port and polished (and checked for cracks) if they are at that point ill order a new head, I have the $$$ set aside but hope to not half to...