Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fender flares

I was wondering how the 4-door rear bushwacker/etc flares work. Are both pieces completely sealed off, separately? Or does it just look like one fender that's been cut? The reason I want to know is I don't particularly want to spend $300+ for some plastic/flex whatever material. I have relocated my front fenders up for more clearance. I am planning on doing the same to the rear. However, in order to do so, I need to cut the rear fender into two pieces and mount one of them to the door and one to the body. This is the easy part. The hard part is going to be sealing the two individual pieces, or possibly just making a gasket like a door jamb. I'm planning on trimming just below the pinch weld, and if I can get the fenders up high enough, bending the rest of the metal up somehow.

Option C would be making flares out of metal without welding. I'll figure out how when/if the time comes.

For those wondering, option B is buying some ****ty used bushwackers and fixing them.

Last edited by mr white; 01-12-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

The rear pocket fenders are 2 pieces. One piece attaches to the door and the other to the rear quarter panel.

edit to add: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/iss...45/#post638366

Last edited by mithuth; 01-12-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

You wont get much clearance trimming below the pinch weld. If you do the cut and fold method you'd get much better results. You can see how I did it in my build. Then take your flares or rear tj flares and place them and cut them so part is running on the rear doors and the other part over the fender. I used double sided tape and black rtv sealant to attach my rear flares and they're holding up well.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Red82
You wont get much clearance trimming below the pinch weld. If you do the cut and fold method you'd get much better results. You can see how I did it in my build. Then take your flares or rear tj flares and place them and cut them so part is running on the rear doors and the other part over the fender. I used double sided tape and black rtv sealant to attach my rear flares and they're holding up well.
Trimming below the pinch weld will give me about a half inch and then beating the rest of it will work fine. Seems like that's what my tires rub on anyway. lol I'll check your build.

EDIT: Are the TJ flares longer than the XJ ones? I think mine will be fine, but I'm not going to cut them like you did most likely just because of the way they fit.
I'm also going to be bolting them back on lol.

Last edited by mr white; 01-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mithuth
The rear pocket fenders are 2 pieces. One piece attaches to the door and the other to the rear quarter panel.

edit to add: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/iss...45/#post638366
Thank you for those pics. They answered my question. :beer:
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

What you're describing is almost a cut and fold. They will fold MUCH easier if you make tabs rather than trimming. I'm sure with the right amount of work you can reuse your stock flares. But goodluck bolting them on the rear. The tjs are a little longer and wider so if your state laws require certain coverage they work great.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

What you're describing is almost a cut and fold. They will fold MUCH easier if you make tabs rather than trimming. I'm sure with the right amount of work you can reuse your stock flares. But goodluck bolting them on the rear. The tjs are a little longer and wider so if your state laws require certain coverage they work great.
I'm not sure I even need flares for legality. But it looks dumb without them. I bolted the front ones back on just fine. Took me a couple tries to get the holes right but I was holding the fender, eyeballing and marking the holes by myself. This time I'm going to try to get my brother to hold them while I mark the holes LOL. I guess I'll just cut slits and fold it. Gonna need to take the plastic in the back off to get the bolts back on.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr white

I'm not sure I even need flares for legality. But it looks dumb without them. I bolted the front ones back on just fine. Took me a couple tries to get the holes right but I was holding the fender, eyeballing and marking the holes by myself. This time I'm going to try to get my brother to hold them while I mark the holes LOL. I guess I'll just cut slits and fold it. Gonna need to take the plastic in the back off to get the bolts back on.
If your tires hang out more than 2in in most states then u need them
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Originally Posted by mr white
What's really going to make it difficult to bolt the rears back on is that the wheel well and the rear fender are pinch welded together. There's not a place to reach up and run the through to the inside. The front fenders, once you remove the rubber wheel wells you can just reach up inside and bolt it in.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

What's really going to make it difficult to bolt the rears back on is that the wheel well and the rear fender are pinch welded together. There's not a place to reach up and run the through to the inside. The front fenders, once you remove the rubber wheel wells you can just reach up inside and bolt it in.
If I take the plastic inside off you think I could get to it? If not, this is going to ruin my scheme. LOL
Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

On the fronts that's not a problem. In the back there is no plastic/rubber liner. Or do you mean the body molding?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

On the fronts that's not a problem. In the back there is no plastic/rubber liner. Or do you mean the body molding?
If you look inside the jeep, there are plastic covers between the wheel well and the window. Those things.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

So this is going to work. However, I'll need double stick tape for the part that attaches to the door. Will this be strong enough? Should make a bracket device along with the tape? There is room for bolts on the door.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Double sided tape and some rtv should do the trick. Ive had people lean against mine and it stays. The nice thing about it is of they do come off you just clean of the rtv and tape and reapply. No_rdplz has had his on for a while and they haven't come off yet.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

LOL if they come off on the highway, there will be no finding them.

Quick Reply: Fender flares