Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat bob's garage lift

Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fat bob's garage lift

I have a guy buying my matco 7 piece body hammer and dolly set for 250 so I'll have the money to buy a small lift.I'm been reading good reviews about Fat Bobs garage lifts so I checked it out and found a lift that I'd like to buy as soon as the guy get the hammer set.its a 3in with front coils,shackles which I think it's good for the kind of wheeling I do.I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about this company good or bad or Know of another company that may have better kits for no more than 250 and No lower than 3in.I'm planning on running 33s 12x50 15s and I know I'll have to cut the fenders and quarter which is fine.I have checked craigslist and no one is selling one. Here is a link to the kit.I'll have to buy shocks which isn't a big deal and it's my understanding that I'll have to swap rims when I get 33s which will suck because I finally got some stock rims I like. Heads up they will be for sale in the next month or so.I don't know what they are worth yet but I'll check to see what they are going for.thanks for your help

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p8703.aspx
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by anti-ricer
I have a guy buying my matco 7 piece body hammer and dolly set for 250 so I'll have the money to buy a small lift.I'm been reading good reviews about Fat Bobs garage lifts so I checked it out and found a lift that I'd like to buy as soon as the guy get the hammer set.its a 3in with front coils,shackles which I think it's good for the kind of wheeling I do.I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about this company good or bad or Know of another company that may have better kits for no more than 250 and No lower than 3in.I'm planning on running 33s 12x50 15s and I know I'll have to cut the fenders and quarter which is fine.I have checked craigslist and no one is selling one. Here is a link to the kit.I'll have to buy shocks which isn't a big deal and it's my understanding that I'll have to swap rims when I get 33s which will suck because I finally got some stock rims I like. Heads up they will be for sale in the next month or so.I don't know what they are worth yet but I'll check to see what they are going for.thanks for your help

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p8703.aspx
i put a 3 inch fat bobs lift on a 93 ZJ and its been doing great with offroading for a little over a year now. We have flexed it out to the max and and had no problems, it was only like 150 bucks with shocks and all.
Why would you have to change wheels? are they 15x7? come to the discount tire i work for i'll mount them on there for ya.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Ehhhh they're decent lifts for the money. Their shocks suck. 15k miles and all of mine are leaking fluid. Supposedly they're going to replace them, but we'll see. Stay away from their add a leafs. Both short and long. But with springs and shackles you should be okay. I live just a few minutes away from them and have worked with them quite a bit.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Im going go get my shocks somewhere else.Im glad to fonally see someone that has this brand lift that can tell me how they are without guessing or he said she said crap.and texas is a little far from tn to get tires lol.what is the cheapest 33s you can get tho sir? As for my rims ill have to check the size.they are the stock rims the 2000 xj sport came with.the good looking rims that are gray they kinda look like the billet rims
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Take a look at www.treadwright.com for the tires- I always fall back to them when I cant afford a full new set- plus they make GREAT winter tires. I have never had a single issue with any of their stuff. Or you can check craigslist/tire shops etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM

For the price of treadwright, I spent a few more dollars yesterday and bought a set of Kelly Safarai TRS 31x10.5x15 for only $560 plus tax from www.tirebuyer.com and a retail-me-not(www.retailmenot.com) coupon for 7% off. The $450 price of the threadwright was tempting and I've heard great things about them, but the fact they are retreads worried me just a little plus some states dont allow them, period. Just something to consider!

Also, I got my Zone 3" lift AAL (my stock leafs were in great shape plus I only put 4000 miles a year on this jeep) for under $300 shipped from Derran at rockridge4wd.com

Last edited by BrandonSS; 11-14-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
For the price of treadwright, I spent a few more dollars yesterday and bought a set of Kelly Safarai TRS 31x10.5x15 for only $560 plus tax from www.tirebuyer.com and a retail-me-not(www.retailmenot.com) coupon for 7% off. The $450 price of the threadwright was tempting and I've heard great things about them, but the fact they are retreads worried me just a little plus some states dont allow them, period. Just something to consider!

Also, I got my Zone 3" lift AAL (my stock leafs were in great shape plus I only put 4000 miles a year on this jeep) for under $300 shipped from Derran at rockridge4wd.com
I have heard that they are illegal in some states but I have not been able to find a source with which states. I think it would be hard to enforce as almost all Semis use them. Its definitely understandable being scared of the re-treads but after having them, friends/family etc. I have no worries anymore. Sounds like you got a good deal! I just love the kedge grip tread wright offers... works really good on icy roads.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

So after digging here: http://www.retread.org/ and scouring Google, I found
1.) in 2000 the president issued an order to use retreads whenever possible (better for nature)
2.) There are tons of studies (government and private) showing they are just as safe as real tires. Also the rubber on the sides of the road were found to be of equal amounts retread and new.
3.) 80% of airplanes use them and as well as most school buses/fire engines/ambulances/military vehicles.
4.) The only law regarding them I can find is not allowing them on the steering axles of buses hauling passengers.

Not trying to argue with ya I just think most of the hype about them being unsafe is false.

Last edited by Ianf406; 11-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM

So you think I can run 33s on my stock XJ rims? I have P235/75R15 tires now Name:  00D0D_5WVxMEnlU3P_600x450.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  33.5 KB
I kinda like these rims and being that rims and tires is going to be most $$$ of what I spend using my stock rims would save some
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

You can for sure but you might want a rim with more backspacing... I am not sure about 33s but with the 35s on my last jeep, stock rims would make it rub pretty bad at full turn. I think you would be okay though- The 35s barely rubbed until full turn.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Ianf406
You can for sure but you might want a rim with more backspacing... I am not sure about 33s but with the 35s on my last jeep, stock rims would make it rub pretty bad at full turn. I think you would be okay though- The 35s barely rubbed until full turn.
That is interesting, my front 235 Duratracs rub at full lock on pavement, and rub pretty significantly when flexed. Rears have no issues. Perhaps if you replaced the stock LCA's you could run the stock rims (thinking narrower tubular LCAs) but I wouldn't be inclined to run a 10.5" wide tire, let alone a 12.5" (Assuming that's what your 35's were.) on my stock rims. For pavement I would think it would be doable, but flexing?... Maybe others have had different experiences than I. I have the turbine style rims, which have a bit of backspacing at least. IMO some lower backspaced d-window steel rims are probably not a bad investment, in your stage of the build.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

So you think I can run 33s on my stock XJ rims? I have P235/75R15 tires now
I kinda like these rims and being that rims and tires is going to be most $$$ of what I spend using my stock rims would save some
Yes, you can use 33x12.50s on stock rims but will need a good set of wheel spacers like Spidertrax.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 PM

I want 10.50

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 11-14-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

I want 10.50
You will be fine. Just a little LCA rub on full lock turns.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EvstaG
That is interesting, my front 235 Duratracs rub at full lock on pavement, and rub pretty significantly when flexed. Rears have no issues. Perhaps if you replaced the stock LCA's you could run the stock rims (thinking narrower tubular LCAs) but I wouldn't be inclined to run a 10.5" wide tire, let alone a 12.5" (Assuming that's what your 35's were.) on my stock rims. For pavement I would think it would be doable, but flexing?... Maybe others have had different experiences than I. I have the turbine style rims, which have a bit of backspacing at least. IMO some lower backspaced d-window steel rims are probably not a bad investment, in your stage of the build.
Could be because I bought it while in Iraq and never drove it stock. Did not think about that. Put the IRO Long-Arms on it before I ever drove it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fat bob's garage lift