Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabricated hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Fabricated hood cowl more pics

I apparently cant put this in the fabrication section so im putting it here. I cut halfway in between the natural hood line and set it up by welding rods after cutting through all the glue. Then i welded the sides on. My welds are ugly but functional just like me.

Last edited by xsfg; 03-10-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: More pictures
Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM
jmg

love it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've thought about this too but I have less than zero fabricating skills.

Now that I've seen it I do like the way it looks!!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:03 PM

This is only my second welding job with the 99 dollar flux welder. You have no excuse on why you cant do it if you want. Just pull your ***** up, punch a midget, and do it.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 PM
jmg

Originally Posted by xsfg
This is only my second welding job with the 99 dollar flux welder. You have no excuse on why you cant do it if you want. Just pull your ***** up, punch a midget, and do it.
flux? do yourself a favor, spend the $100 on a tank of shield gas and lose the flux core.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Like i said, this is only my 2nd job. I wasnt gonna jump in with both feet. I wanted to learn to get decent beads first which I still cant do but to be honest that is very very thin sheetmetal. I drove all day today and the top of the hood was like i never even drove it whereas it used to be where i couldnt touch it.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 PM
jmg

Like i said, this is only my 2nd job. I wasnt gonna jump in with both feet. I wanted to learn to get decent beads first which I still cant do but to be honest that is very very thin sheetmetal. I drove all day today and the top of the hood was like i never even drove it whereas it used to be where i couldnt touch it.
thats the thing though .. flux core is a lot harder to make nice beads. using a shield gas will make your welds better, smoother, and easier. Even if you have a little 110v hobart, if it takes flux core, it'll handle shield gas. Trust me, it's a piece of cake, and makes things a heckofalot easier. fluxcore is really only used if you're welding outside in high winds. Don't fool yourself (I did the same thing) and think that flux is easier because it doesn't require a tank.

Shield gas is sold by any welding supply store-- 60cf will last you a while... crap, they may even sell30cf. Usually it's $100 for the tank, $30 for the gas, some places even lease.

Anyway, if you want to really learn the right way, start with shield gas, when you practice enough and know what you're doing, then try flux core.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Okay, will do. Thanks for the advice because the next thing im doing is a rear tire carrier. Will i need a new gun or will i have to get a new machine too?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Nice project... Great to see you're teaching yourself to weld...Generally, the flux core wire isn't used for any sheetmetal/bodywork type application..The flux will leave a residue that's not compatible with most fillers and paints..Make sure you clean the metal thoroughly{ wax/grease remover or even lacquer thinner} before you add the filler to your hood..
Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM
jmg

Okay, will do. Thanks for the advice because the next thing im doing is a rear tire carrier. Will i need a new gun or will i have to get a new machine too?
I highly doubt you need a new machine., I started out on a hobart 140, I think I spend like $200 on it, and it included a manifold for the gas.
put it this way -- for mig, using shield gas is the norm. flux is typically the exception. IF you bought a decent box, I have little doubt it'll work with gas. Though I'm not by any stretch a welding expert. .. what kind of machine is it?
You're definitely attacking this the right way though-- best way to get better is practice practice practice. and I really dig that hood!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Harbor freight 90 amp.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:57 AM
jmg

huh. assuming you have this :
https://www.harborfreight.com/flux-1...tml#tt-reviews

then .. looks like it's just a flux core welder. I guess they save money by not putting provisions for gas --- look in the back, see if there's a gas connector, but given the (vague) description, I doubt it. the gas would hook up in the back, not at the gun.

Funny that they call gas a "hassle". Unless you're welding in windy conditions or on a trail, gas makes welds soooo much easier.

Anyway, using flux core won't really change much in terms of technique, it'll just make getting consistent, tight, pretty welds more difficult.

Don't want to hijack your thread. Great project, I've seen people do similar kinds of hoods, I'm seriously considering the same to clear my air cleaner.

Last edited by jmg; 03-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Its gonna give me room to put my air cleaner higher and a turbo with an intercooler in there.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

Nice hood, I like the idea, and will probably copy it in the future.

I agree with all the welding advice here. Just want to add the thing that improved my welding the most, after practicing, was the knowledge I found at Weldingtipsandtricks.com, one of the best sources of all things welding.
I recommend getting lost in the website before spending money on more welding equipment. better to know what you want when you go to upgrade welding equipment.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Supercharger

Just got my hands on two Eaton m90s and need to know how to make one work with the 4.0. ANY advice will be much appreciated. I have the room under my hood for an intercooler and the m90. I just need to know from top to bottom how to get it done. Thanks to all in advance. Im doing this myself and it will be a mash up of parts because i am successfully poor.

Quick Reply: Fabricated hood scoop