Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question (Answer not found or given in the exhaust thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Exhaust question (Answer not found or given in the exhaust thread)

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0.

I need to replace at the very least, the front "S" pipe and the cat section. (Meth heads cut the cat out and damaged the front pipe)

Is there any front pipe available besides the horrible-looking Walker replacement part 53440 or OEM? I find it strange that you can get aftermarket headers for these, cats, and cat-back exhausts, but i can't seem to find a decent aftermarket replacement for this particular pipe.

Is this because it's a 00 and there seems to be less for these in general?

Insurance is likely to give me enough money to pay for an entirely new exhaust header back. What is available off the shelf? Or... am i looking at having a custom section made at a performance shop?

Or do i just shut the hell up and get the Walker replacement part and a Performance Curve magnaflow setup all the way back from the "S" pipe?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i have seen aftermarket performance headers on ebay for the 2000 xj gives you more horsepower not way expensive either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-JE...2bf5b3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by cherokeenut; 02-13-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: found better price on performance part
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998, 1993
Engine: 4.0

take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld in a new pipe?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 PM

I'm afraid i may not have made the question clear enough:

Is there a "performance" aftermarket replacement for the "front pipe" (S-shaped) between the headers and the catalytic converter section?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by concealer404
I'm afraid i may not have made the question clear enough:

Is there a "performance" aftermarket replacement for the "front pipe" (S-shaped) between the headers and the catalytic converter section?
Yes there is, However you will need to find a custom exhaust shop that can do mandrel bends and have them bend you up a 2.5" downpipe mate it to a 2.5" catalitic converter if you have a 2.5" catback you'll be good to go if not just go with 2.25"
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Yes there is, However you will need to find a custom exhaust shop that can do mandrel bends and have them bend you up a 2.5" downpipe mate it to a 2.5" catalitic converter if you have a 2.5" catback you'll be good to go if not just go with 2.25"

I'm bad at asking questions, apparently.

I meant "off the shelf."

Anyways, i just had a bend made and welded onto the stock "S" pipe so it would match up with the Performance Curve exhaust, so this is a moot point at this moment.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I need to replace at the very least, the front "S" pipe and the cat section. (Meth heads cut the cat out and damaged the front pipe)

Is there any front pipe available besides the horrible-looking Walker replacement part 53440 or OEM? I find it strange that you can get aftermarket headers for these, cats, and cat-back exhausts, but i can't seem to find a decent aftermarket replacement for this particular pipe.

Insurance is likely to give me enough money to pay for an entirely new exhaust header back. What is available off the shelf? Or... am i looking at having a custom section made at a performance shop?

Or do i just shut the hell up and get the Walker replacement part and a Performance Curve magnaflow setup all the way back from the "S" pipe?
WHAT!!! meth heads stole a large portion of your exhaust! sorry but thats hilarious man!! talk about ballzy too, i would expect those f*cks to take my change or stereo but not an exhaust. How did they manage this with out you stomping them while they were under your ride??? or turning it on and just... driving away. thats just insane....
Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM

How did they manage it?

Pretty easily. I was either asleep or at work. I don't drive this thing more than once a month, this is my fiancee's daily driver.

Stealing cats is way more lucrative than stealing stereos, and much faster and easier to do on a Cherokee.

I might have found it amusing if it didn't involve two weeks of dicking around with insurance and ending up with a loud exhaust I hate.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Daily driving update:

The Magnaflow exhaust is still obnoxiously loud and i ****ing hate it. This is the Performance Curve setup. I have no complaints with the quality, price, or anything but the noise, but holy hell this is awful.

Also: Gas mileage seems to have decreased in a BIG way since the exhaust was put on. I also installed a new downstream o2 sensor at the same time since the old one pulled the threads off during removal.

Do i need to re-set the ECU or something? Where we were getting just about 15mpg out of the Jeep city driving, now we're getting in the 11.8-12.2mpg range.

There are no CELs, no codes, no nothing. Jeep seems to be running great, but gas mileage has suffered since the exhaust was put on.

It's not from "oh man loud exhaust let's romp on it!" syndrome either. We both hate how loud it is so we're making a conscious effort to baby it around.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I've got the same exhaust, maybe I'm slightly def but it doesn't bother me one bit.

You should probably reset the ecu also.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Daily driving update:

The Magnaflow exhaust is still obnoxiously loud and i ****ing hate it. This is the Performance Curve setup. I have no complaints with the quality, price, or anything but the noise, but holy hell this is awful.

Also: Gas mileage seems to have decreased in a BIG way since the exhaust was put on. I also installed a new downstream o2 sensor at the same time since the old one pulled the threads off during removal.

Do i need to re-set the ECU or something? Where we were getting just about 15mpg out of the Jeep city driving, now we're getting in the 11.8-12.2mpg range.

There are no CELs, no codes, no nothing. Jeep seems to be running great, but gas mileage has suffered since the exhaust was put on.

It's not from "oh man loud exhaust let's romp on it!" syndrome either. We both hate how loud it is so we're making a conscious effort to baby it around.
My magnaflow isn't that loud unless I am driving wot. I picked up 1.5-2 mpg. Reset your ecu and stay off the gas
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM

No offense meant, but are you guys slightly deaf? :P

This thing is easily the loudest vehicle i have running at the moment. Which is crazy considering my daily driver is this (Yes, that's the exhaust out the bumper.):

We're staying off the gas.... i'll reset the ECU and see what that does next time we fill up.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

You can order the downpipe, intermediate and tail pipe from Quadratec.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
You can order the downpipe, intermediate and tail pipe from Quadratec.

Yes. If i want the ****-tastic Walker front pipe.

Either way... this was fixed as stated in the thread. Now having other issues.